function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
David81David81 

MIXED_DML_OPERATION error in Trigger on User

Ok, so the driving force this this piece of code was to reassign leads for Users that are made inactive to a Queue to reassigned to other sales reps. Seems like a relatively common situation, right?

Seemed like a pretty simple trigger to right as well, even for a beginner like myself.  Unfortunately I appear to be wrong in that assumption.

From my reading it seems that we cannot update other records (Leads, Contacts, Accouts, etc.) when a User's profile is updated. Is that really the case or am I missing something terribly obvious here?

trigger ReassignSalesLeadstoSupervisorforInactive on User (after update) { //Get Id for Sales Supervisors Queue Group sup = [SELECT Id FROM Group WHERE Name='Sales Supervisors' AND Type='Queue']; Set<Id> inactive = new Set<Id>(); List<Lead> reassign = new List<Lead>(); //Determine if user is a Sales User that has just been made Inactive for(user u : trigger.new){ if(u.Department == 'Sales' && Trigger.oldMap.get(u.id).IsActive == True && u.IsActive == False){ inactive.add(u.id); } } System.debug('****Users****'+inactive); //Find the inactive user's leads and reassign them to the Sales Supervisors Queue for(Lead l : [SELECT Id,OwnerId FROM Lead WHERE OwnerId IN :inactive]){ l.OwnerId = sup.id; reassign.add(l); } System.debug('****Leads****'+reassign); update reassign; }

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
JimRaeJimRae

David,

You are correct, you can't do DML on other objects when you have a trigger on a Setup object (like user).

The most popular workaround to this is to break your code into a separate class that acts with a @future keyword (making the transaction asynchronous).  Then in your trigger, you pass your list of IDs to the other class and they get updated separately.

Something like this:

trigger ReassignSalesLeadstoSupervisorforInactive on User (after update) {

//Get Id for Sales Supervisors Queue
Group sup = [SELECT Id FROM Group WHERE Name='Sales Supervisors' AND Type='Queue'];

Set<Id> inactive = new Set<Id>();

//Determine if user is a Sales User that has just been made Inactive
for(user u : trigger.new){
if(u.Department == 'Sales' && Trigger.oldMap.get(u.id).IsActive == True && u.IsActive == False){
inactive.add(u.id);
}
}
System.debug('****Users****'+inactive);
LeadReassign.reassignleads(inactive);

}

public class LeadReassign{

@future
public static void reassignleads(Set<ID> inactive){
List<Lead> reassign = new List<Lead>();
//Find the inactive user's leads and reassign them to the Sales Supervisors Queue
for(Lead l : [SELECT Id,OwnerId FROM Lead WHERE OwnerId IN :inactive]){
l.OwnerId = sup.id;
reassign.add(l);
}

System.debug('****Leads****'+reassign);
update reassign;
}
}

All Answers

JimRaeJimRae

David,

You are correct, you can't do DML on other objects when you have a trigger on a Setup object (like user).

The most popular workaround to this is to break your code into a separate class that acts with a @future keyword (making the transaction asynchronous).  Then in your trigger, you pass your list of IDs to the other class and they get updated separately.

Something like this:

trigger ReassignSalesLeadstoSupervisorforInactive on User (after update) {

//Get Id for Sales Supervisors Queue
Group sup = [SELECT Id FROM Group WHERE Name='Sales Supervisors' AND Type='Queue'];

Set<Id> inactive = new Set<Id>();

//Determine if user is a Sales User that has just been made Inactive
for(user u : trigger.new){
if(u.Department == 'Sales' && Trigger.oldMap.get(u.id).IsActive == True && u.IsActive == False){
inactive.add(u.id);
}
}
System.debug('****Users****'+inactive);
LeadReassign.reassignleads(inactive);

}

public class LeadReassign{

@future
public static void reassignleads(Set<ID> inactive){
List<Lead> reassign = new List<Lead>();
//Find the inactive user's leads and reassign them to the Sales Supervisors Queue
for(Lead l : [SELECT Id,OwnerId FROM Lead WHERE OwnerId IN :inactive]){
l.OwnerId = sup.id;
reassign.add(l);
}

System.debug('****Leads****'+reassign);
update reassign;
}
}

This was selected as the best answer
David81David81

Jim,

Thanks so much.

That was just what I needed. It's amazing how much I'm learning from the boards in a past few weeks. 

Can't wait for my formal training out in sunny CA.

unidhaunidha
Hi Jim,

When you mentioned

is it also mean that we can't do dml in custom object ?

Thanks.