function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
e r i c.ax249e r i c.ax249 

How to get the line number of exception when using try/catch

I've written an Apex Service that will be called from an inhouse application.  I have a try/catch block that catches any exceptions and returns an error type that I've defined.  I also send an email notification out.  I know you can grab the exception type and message with .getTypeName() and .getMessage(), but how do I get the exception line number?  That would be handy information to send in the error notification email.  If I don't handle the error, the service returns the exception type, exception message, class name, class method, and line number in the faultstring element.  I don't see anything in the Apex documentation that would allow you to access the line number when catching the exception though.  What gives?  Is this available?
wesnoltewesnolte

Hey

It's not possible unfortunately(not that I know of at least). I resort to oldschool database debug methods eg.

public class MyClass{

private String lineMsg;

try{

// Some logic

lineMsg = 'About to enter if-statement. myVal: '+myVal);

if(myVal){

// more logic

lineMsg = 'Fetching records for ....';

}catch(system.exception e){

System.debug(e.getMessage+ ' - lineMsg: '+lineMsg);

It's crude, but you have to do what you can with what you have.

Wes 

saadis01saadis01

e.getLineNumber()

e r i c.ax249e r i c.ax249

@saadis01 - that was not available at the time I created this thread, but I'm glad they added it.

saadis01saadis01

@eric, I posted it so that next time someone else coming looking for an answer will actually see how's it done, unlike me who had to continue the search :)

craigmhcraigmh

Yeah, I always find it better to reply to a five year old post when the answer isn't there, and it's a frustrating issue.

Lawrence-AccentureLawrence-Accenture
Now how about a getClassName() so we know which class that line number is in?
Soumyaranjan Pati 10Soumyaranjan Pati 10
use like this:
try{
---
}catch(Exception e){
            System.debug('Exception e '+e);
            System.debug('Exception e '+e.getLineNumber());
        }