function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Churchill19Churchill19 

How can I setup a Long text area field to be able to edit or set to read only?

Hi,

I am trying to work out how I can set up a Long Text Area field to be read only and editable? I want a user to enter comments and then save them into the field and lets say a few days the user what to add a update on the comments field but leaving the ones that they original enter i.e. so they don't over write the previous comment?

any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sean.

forcedotcomforcedotcom

Hi Churchill19,

I'm not sure that it will address your specific requirement but it is possible to dynamically update the record type, and in doing so you can make a field which was once read/write read only (by modifying the associated page layout).

Good luck!

forcedotcom

JakesterJakester
Not sure if you can do a validation rule on long text, but if you could then you could make a rule that says "if the field is not blank, then don't allow changes to it."
Churchill19Churchill19

Thank yo both for replying,

what i trying to do is the following: -

user enter comments: -

'Call Bob to discuss contract prices.'

Then the user enter some more comments a week later... what i want to do is have the previous comments to be read only i.e. when the user enter comments they dont clear what they previously entered. as show below: -

'Bob called to discuss to accept prices.'

'Call Bob to discuss contract prices.'

so every time the user adds more comments the previous ones are automatically read only. is it possible to so this?

Thanks,

Sean.

JakesterJakester
Are you using the Case Comments? If so, this is exactly how it works to begin with. The Notes & Attachments area also works this way out of the box, I think.
Del_SantosDel_Santos

This may help.

1. create text field

2. create long text area field (field should be set to read only )

3. create a workflow rule wherein everytime the text field not equal to null will perform the following actions:

a. text field + BR() + long text area

b. reset text field value to null

Thanks,

Del