function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
brianwhibrianwhi 

Field updates based on zip code possible?

We are looking at creating a workflow/formula where based on a zip code, a contact's board membership would be automatically populated (i.e., if a contact lives in the 90071-90075 range, they would be assigned to the "Downtown Los Angeles" board. Similarly, if a contact moves out of that zip range, they would be unassigned from the "Downtown Los Angeles" board.) We planned on using a custom picklist field for board membership.

I assume this can be achieved using either workflow or a formula field, but I'm not sure which would work best (and would be the easiest to build).

Thanks!
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
JakesterJakester

Hi Brian,

It depends on whether you (and how) you'd want to allow exceptions to these rules. If someone's membership always ties directly to their zip code, then a formula is the way to code. If not, then a workflow rule would probably be better.

All Answers

JakesterJakester

Hi Brian,

It depends on whether you (and how) you'd want to allow exceptions to these rules. If someone's membership always ties directly to their zip code, then a formula is the way to code. If not, then a workflow rule would probably be better.

This was selected as the best answer
brianwhibrianwhi
I'm pretty sure we would have exceptions, so we'll look into workflow.  Thanks!