function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
mboltonmbolton 

How do I reference a field from another object?

Forgive my density today, but I am drawing on blank on how to reference the value placed in a custom field from the Account Object.  For example:  The Cutomer No. is a custom field within Account, and I want to reference that Customer No. on a Sales Order (a custom object in itself.)  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark 

forcedotcomforcedotcom

So assuming you have a lookup field on the sales order to the account, you can then just create a custom formula field (text) on the sales order object and enter something like:

Account.Customer_Number__c

Regards,

forcedotcom

mboltonmbolton
What if I want to reference the value of a picklist picked in a previous object?  Thanks!!
Cindys1111Cindys1111

I have the same question as mbolton

What if I want to reference the value of a picklist picked in a previous object?  Thanks!!

MarkSilberMarkSilber
When you indicate "previous object", do you mean "parent object"? If so, then when you build your formula on your child object, you can use the same method mentioned above to evaluate the picklist using the TEXT() or ISPICKVAL functions for the parents field.
Message Edited by Mark Silber on 07-28-2009 06:07 AM
mboltonmbolton

Yeah, I used the TEXT(), it worked perect!

Thanks!

Cindys1111Cindys1111

I actually think my question was different now looking at the answer...

I'm new to Salesforce, but familiar with formulas and programming

We have in several instances duplicate fields that are in different objects and being entered numerous times.

Such as...

To reduce data errors and data entry time, I would like to be able to use a formula to feed the value from a field in the primary object to another (maybe several other) same fields in different objects.

Came across VLOOKUP today, but don't want to do any "testing" due to the fact that there is currently real data in the fields that would be lost if replaced by a formula which could be inconvenient as well ; )

It's would seem to be something simple to do, just not sure how to and hoping to get some help.

Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!

forcedotcomforcedotcom

If you have a parent object (called Account or Business) with a field called 'Business Name' and you want that to appear on related records, you need to create a text formula field on the related object called 'Business Name' and the formula should look like:

Account.Business_Name__c

The business name on the related object will then update when changes are made to the account / business record.

Regards,

forcedotcom

Cindys1111Cindys1111

Thanks for the info : ) 

I understand I need to use a cross reference formula, but the object is custom "Business".

How do I tell if it's a parent object, and if it's not...

- how can I make it a parent object (it shows no master object and I'm trying to reference it in a custom field in Contacts)

- are there any implications to making it a parent object?

Tried using Help for "cross object formulas" and "parent objects" but didn't seem to find reference to this.

Thank you in advance for your assistance

mboltonmbolton
What if the field you are referencing is a Boolean field?  TEXT does not work here.