function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
CarlAtlantaCarlAtlanta 

Email to closed case reopens case

A case is closed.  Later, the client replies back to an associated case email with a new issue.  The salesforce user is on vacation or no longer working in the call center.  The new email is now associated with the closed case and it goes unnoticed. 

I created an email workflow rule but with no success:

(Email Message: Is IncomingequalsTrue) and (Case: ClosedequalsTrue) to trigger a status change of the case object to "new" and owner to "queue."  Apparently, as the case object is not being saved, this rule won't work.

I assume this is a common problem and I've been scratching my head and searching for a solution.  Any help?
Thanks, Carl

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
wt35wt35

When you say "Apparently, as the case object is not being saved, this rule won't work.", do you mean you have already tried or you guess it won't work?

I had this requirement 2 years ago, and as far as I remember I used this technique and it worked. You can can use Case field upadtes for a workflow based on Email object...

See this link and they recommend the same technique:

http://techblog.appirio.com/2008/12/using-workflow-to-update-case-when.html

All Answers

wt35wt35

When you say "Apparently, as the case object is not being saved, this rule won't work.", do you mean you have already tried or you guess it won't work?

I had this requirement 2 years ago, and as far as I remember I used this technique and it worked. You can can use Case field upadtes for a workflow based on Email object...

See this link and they recommend the same technique:

http://techblog.appirio.com/2008/12/using-workflow-to-update-case-when.html

This was selected as the best answer
CarlAtlantaCarlAtlanta

I tried it and it didn't work.  The Salesforce tech I spoke to said it had to do with the case object not being saved.  I'll review the link and see if there is any adjustment I can make and check back....  thanks

CarlAtlantaCarlAtlanta

As far as I can tell, I've already done exactly what was described in the link with no success.  I've checked for other conflicting workflows and have not found any.

and my workflow actions are:

Field change status to "new"

Field change owner to "queue"

wt35wt35

Have you tried with Evaluation Criteria = "Every time a record is created or edited" ?

CarlAtlantaCarlAtlanta

I changed Evaluation Criteria to "Every time a record is created or edited".  I then sent a test email to the system to trigger an email to case opening.  I responded back within the case with an email to myself as the client.  I closed the case.  I then responded back to the closed case.  The email was received associated with the case.  There was no change to the case status or to the ownership as the field change rules should have triggered.  This is the first field change rule...

CarlAtlantaCarlAtlanta

the second field change rule....

CarlAtlantaCarlAtlanta

I also created a new field change rule to change another custom field in the case to see if it had anything to do with the standard field change rules.  Still no success. 

CarlAtlantaCarlAtlanta

The original workflow rule was correct all along.  This does work.  Now when an email comes back associated with a closed case, the case ownership changes to the queue and the case status changes to 'new.'  I had an error in my testing with the return email address that mucked things up. 

Thanks for the help!