function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Dman100Dman100 

update contact reference field on case

I have a trigger that I am firing on cases before update.  After the contacts are created, I am trying to update the contact lookup (reference) field on the case.

Here is what I am trying:

trigger InsertCaseContact on Case (before update) { //Create a new list for caseIds List<Id> caseIds = new List<Id>{}; //Loop through the Cases we're adding and build a list of Ids for(Case cas: Trigger.new) caseIds.add(cas.Id); List<Contact> addContacts = new List<Contact>(); // Loop through the Trigger.new array of Cases. for(Case cas:Trigger.new){ if (cas.SuppliedName != null) { addContacts.add(new Contact (LastName = cas.SuppliedName, Email = cas.SuppliedEmail, Phone = cas.SuppliedPhone, Email_ExtID__c = cas.SuppliedEmail)); } } upsert addContacts Email_ExtID__c; // loop thru contacts to retrieve contact ids List<Contact> newContacts = new List<Contact>(); for (Contact c: addContacts) { newContacts.add(c); } List<Case> cases = new List<Case>{}; for (Case c : Trigger.new) { c.ContactId = newContacts.Id; cases.add(c); } update cases; }

Save error: Initial term of field expression must be a concrete SObject: LIST:SOBJECT:Contact

How can I update the contact reference field in the cases with with the list of new contacts?

Thanks for any help.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
pchadha20pchadha20

// Create list of cases of the trigger

List<Case> cases = new List<Case>();

// Loop through the cases and add to list

for(Case c : Trigger.new)

cases.add(c);

//Now in the last section do the changes

for(Integer i=0; i<newcontact.size(); i++)

{

Case c1 = caese.get(i);

c1.contactId = newcontact[i] .Id;

}

All Answers

SuperfellSuperfell
On what line number ?
Dman100Dman100

It occurs in the very last loop in the trigger:

for (Case c : Trigger.new) { c.ContactId = newContacts.Id; cases.add(c); }

On this line:

c.ContactId = newContacts.Id;

SuperfellSuperfell
Because newContacts is a list of contacts, not a contact itself. (and for a before trigger, there's no need to call update, just update the trigger.new collection, and those values will go on to the db.
Dman100Dman100

I cannot get the before insert trigger to update the contact (reference field) on the case to update in my trigger.  I tried an after insert and the record is read only so that did not work either.

Here are both triggers that I attempted.  Maybe someone can point out how I can accomplish this?

Before insert trigger:

trigger InsertCaseContact on Case (before insert) { //Create a new list for caseIds List<Id> caseIds = new List<Id>{}; //Loop through the Cases we're adding and build a list of Ids for(Case cas: Trigger.new) caseIds.add(cas.Id); List<Contact> addContacts = new List<Contact>(); // Loop through the Trigger.new array of Cases. for(Case cas:Trigger.new){ if (cas.SuppliedName != null) { addContacts.add(new Contact (LastName = cas.SuppliedName, Email = cas.SuppliedEmail, Phone = cas.SuppliedPhone, Email_ExtID__c = cas.SuppliedEmail)); } } upsert addContacts Email_ExtID__c; // loop thru contacts to retrieve contact ids //Set<Id> ConIds = new Set<Id>(); List<Contact> newContacts = new List<Contact>(); for (Contact c: addContacts) { newContacts.add(c); } List<Case> cases = new List<Case>{}; for (Case c : Trigger.new) { for (Integer i=0; i < newContacts.size(); i++) { c.ContactId = newContacts[i].Id; } } }

After insert trigger:

trigger InsertCaseContact on Case (after insert) { //Create a new list for caseIds List<Id> caseIds = new List<Id>{}; //Loop through the Cases we're adding and build a list of Ids for(Case cas: Trigger.new) caseIds.add(cas.Id); List<Contact> addContacts = new List<Contact>(); // Loop through the Trigger.new array of Cases. for(Case cas:Trigger.new){ if (cas.SuppliedName != null) { addContacts.add(new Contact (LastName = cas.SuppliedName, Email = cas.SuppliedEmail, Phone = cas.SuppliedPhone, Email_ExtID__c = cas.SuppliedEmail)); } } upsert addContacts Email_ExtID__c; // loop thru contacts to retrieve contact ids //Set<Id> ConIds = new Set<Id>(); List<Contact> newContacts = new List<Contact>(); for (Contact c: addContacts) { newContacts.add(c); } List<Case> cases = new List<Case>{}; for (Case c : Trigger.new) { for (Integer i=0; i < newContacts.size(); i++) { c.ContactId = newContacts[i].Id; cases.add(c); } } update (cases); }

Is the reason the before insert does not work is because I'm creating new contacts and then trying to add those ids into a case that hasn't been created yet?

Is there a solution?

pchadha20pchadha20

// Create list of cases of the trigger

List<Case> cases = new List<Case>();

// Loop through the cases and add to list

for(Case c : Trigger.new)

cases.add(c);

//Now in the last section do the changes

for(Integer i=0; i<newcontact.size(); i++)

{

Case c1 = caese.get(i);

c1.contactId = newcontact[i] .Id;

}

This was selected as the best answer