function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
mboltonmbolton 

Referencing a Lookup in child record

I need a formula that references a Lookup to a custom object from a parent record.  When I do the standard formula that I think should work, the 15 digit ID is what is returned.  What am I missing?

Thanks,

Mark 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
MarkSilberMarkSilber
You have to actually get to the field that contains the name of the object. What is the field name you are trying to return to the related object?

All Answers

MarkSilberMarkSilber
You should be able to build the formula by chosing the fields on the related object that show in the formula builder with > next to them. Once you click the Object name with the >, you are given the opportunity to select other fields on that object for use in your formula.
mboltonmbolton
Oh, I've done that.  I get all the way down to the field I am looking for and all looks good except it returns the 15 digit ID no.
MarkSilberMarkSilber
You have to actually get to the field that contains the name of the object. What is the field name you are trying to return to the related object?
This was selected as the best answer
mboltonmbolton

That is what I was missing, I didn't take it deep enough.  One more and it worked.

How about returning a value that is Boolean, like a checkbox?

Thanks!  I appreciate it!

MarkSilberMarkSilber

Since you can't have a Checkbox formula field, you would have to use a Text field to represent the value using "Yes", "No", "True", "False", etc. For example:

IF(mybooleanfield__c, "Yes", "No")

mboltonmbolton
Perfect, that worked.  Thanks!
JakesterJakester
mbotton - please use the green Solution to indicate that this issue has been figured out. Thanks!