function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
T-HanT-Han 

Edit Formula Field in any other way.

HI Y'all,

I have a Formula field F1 - which calculates a fixed Date.

I know that Formula field are not editable.

But, is there any other way that F1 can be mapped to Date field where I can EDIT the field. Not the F1. Like create any field say F2 and map F1 to F2 and make F2 editable.

Or any other whole idea. Which Starts with a Calculated Formula date field and then mapping to an editable Date Field.

Need assistance here. Thanks..

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
T-HanT-Han

imutsav

Finally figured out. I was thinking about ISCHANGED as you said with Flag option.
This is what I did to get to a Formula which can be EDITABLE in a different way.

F1 = Formula Field, F2 = Date Field, F3 = Check Box

*WorkFlow 1 - NOT(ISBLANK(F1))
Field Update - Check the checkbox F3. (Setting the values to TRUE)

*WorkFlow 2 - ISCHANGED(F3)
Field Update - Copy F1 to F2 (F2 = Field tp Update, F1 = the intitial Formula field)

Thanks for all the assistance provided.

Worked Hurray..!

All Answers

imutsavimutsav
Yes you can do that. As you have mentioned that you have a date field F1 which is a formula field. Now you create a new field F2 which is normal date field. Now you edit the formula of F1 field and just write the name of the field eg. f2__c. This way you would edit F2 when ever you would like and based on F2__c the value of F1 will be edited automatically.

Thanks
Utsav
do mark it as a solution or give kudos if you think i helped you any bit. ;) ]

sourav046sourav046

Simply create a TEXT or Date field on that object .say F2

Put the default value of F2 field =F1 (or whatever your formula field name is)

Now if you want you can hide the F1 field from page layout.

As a result F1 will calculate the formula value in background and populate it into F2 .

But you can easily edit F2 field and can map it with other field as you wish ,but the F1 value will remain unchanged.

T-HanT-Han

imutsav - I didn't get you when you said to edit the Formula for F1 to F2. can you Explain me how that works?

imutsavimutsav
T-Han : As you said that your F1 field is a formula file you need to edit the formula of it and just type in the name of F2 field eg. f2__c. By doing this F1 will show the value of F2 field. Since F2 is an editable field you can always change the value of F2 field and since F1 field copies the value of F2 field it will also show the same value.

Thanks
Utsav

[do mark it as a solution or give kudos if you think i helped you any bit. ;) ]
T-HanT-Han

imutsav-

This is my Scenario. 

F1 = Formula field (date) calculated and is populated. I know that I cannot edit this field. So what I am trying to do is to make a copy of F1 to a normal date Field F2. 

Which means like Default value of F2 =F1. I created a WF - with Field Update and updated the F2 = F1, so that I can EDIT F2 leaving F1 intact.

But, when I try to EDIT F2 I am able to but when I click on SAVE then F2 revereses back to the date present in F1.

My ultimate goal is to EDIT the Field F2 is any way possible. But, I need the F1 as a mandatory field which involves a calculated DATE(Formula)..

Any advices? ?

imutsavimutsav
The only solution I can think of is create a flag(checkbox) and when its checked then don't copy the value of F1 to F2 and when it is not checked then do copy the value.

I have another solution as well. Why don't you create your F1 field as a normal Date field(not a formula field). Write a WF rule and check its value if it is changed then don't update it value of it or else calculate the value and update it.
Formula :
ischanged(f1);
I believe this should work :D Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Utsav

[Do mark this answer as solution if it works for you and give a kudos.]
T-HanT-Han

imutsav

Finally figured out. I was thinking about ISCHANGED as you said with Flag option.
This is what I did to get to a Formula which can be EDITABLE in a different way.

F1 = Formula Field, F2 = Date Field, F3 = Check Box

*WorkFlow 1 - NOT(ISBLANK(F1))
Field Update - Check the checkbox F3. (Setting the values to TRUE)

*WorkFlow 2 - ISCHANGED(F3)
Field Update - Copy F1 to F2 (F2 = Field tp Update, F1 = the intitial Formula field)

Thanks for all the assistance provided.

Worked Hurray..!

This was selected as the best answer