function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
My Cloud SunriseMy Cloud Sunrise 

Validation Rule problem in Force.com Workbook. Also looking for a Self teaching SF Workbook.

My name is Roger and my Email Address is vaayukumara@gmail.com.  

I have two things to discuss which are as follows :

1.       I encountered problems with the workbook posted on the Sales Force Web Site.  I was trying to teach myself Sales
          Force Admin.   The site URL and the problem I encountered are given below.

Coming to the Glitch in the Force.Com Workbook.  Given below is what has happened.
URL :  http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/workbook/index.htm
followed the Tutorials 1 and 2.  No problem.   In tutorial 3,  Step 1 and 2 went fine, no problem.  

Problem Encountered:   Tutorial 3,  Step 3. ( Check Inventory with a Validation Rule ) .  Here after creating  a Rule Name, when I click the insert Field,  I don't see what is said in Step 3.  I don't know where the problem is here and how to fix it.   I cannot proceed further or do anything without this being taken care of.    I don't know if there are more glitches down the other tutorials.

-----

2.            I am wondering if I can ask for a favor.   As I said earlier I am learning Sales Force on my own.

Sales Force Administration and Adv Administration training at the Sales Force company is too expensive and out of my reach.   I am looking for a good Workbook or Training Manual that is Step by Step based for self learning.   I would greatly appreciate if you or someone you know has a copy of the above and let me use it to learn. 

As you know there are a lot of Videos on You Tube and I went through some of them for more than two months but couldn't find a proper way to train myself as none of them are good to teach you from start to end.  A good work book is structured as follows
             Chapters 1,   Creating an APPs, Custom Objects, Fields
             Chapters 2.   Building relationships
             Chapters 3.   Using Formulas and Validation Rules
             Chapters 4    Creating Reports and Dashboards

and so on .........   

I apologize for this inconvenience but I really want to learn.   Your help can change my life and will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much

Roger

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Mycloudsunrise.ax1686Mycloudsunrise.ax1686

Dear Ms. Shannon Hale

Thank you very much for responding to my issue posted on the Force.com Discussion Board. 

I was able to overcome the problem my self by redoing everything again from Chapter 1 and over.   I just don't know what went wrong because I did what the Tutorial said.   The second time it worked out OK while the first time it didn't.

While I am still looking for a good Tutorial / Workbook to teach myself  SF Administration and Advance Administration with step by step instructions, Excercises, Projects and other things.   I shall be very thankful if you can help me out here.

Once again Thank you very much for your time and help.   I look forward to hearing from you soon.   My Email address is  vaayukumara@gmail.com.

Very Truly,

Raja

All Answers

Shannon HaleShannon Hale

Hi Roger,

Did you happen to name your custom object something other than "Line Item"? Usually the object's name is the first item in the that first column in the Insert Field popup, followed by a bunch of items that start with "$".

Can you grab a screenshot of that popup for us?

Li_CCELi_CCE

Another way to see what is happening is to paste "Merchandise__r.Total_Inventory__c < Units_Sold__c" directly in the editor and click on check syntax. See what is in the error msg.

Mycloudsunrise.ax1686Mycloudsunrise.ax1686

Dear Ms. Shannon Hale

Thank you very much for responding to my issue posted on the Force.com Discussion Board. 

I was able to overcome the problem my self by redoing everything again from Chapter 1 and over.   I just don't know what went wrong because I did what the Tutorial said.   The second time it worked out OK while the first time it didn't.

While I am still looking for a good Tutorial / Workbook to teach myself  SF Administration and Advance Administration with step by step instructions, Excercises, Projects and other things.   I shall be very thankful if you can help me out here.

Once again Thank you very much for your time and help.   I look forward to hearing from you soon.   My Email address is  vaayukumara@gmail.com.

Very Truly,

Raja

This was selected as the best answer
Shannon HaleShannon Hale

Hi Raja,

Most of the step-by-step guides are on this page, which I think you've already found: http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/Force.com_workbook

Another step-by-step guide you might find useful that isn't linked from the Force.com Workbook list is the Force.com Platform Fundamentals guide -- you can find it here: http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/Force_Platform_Fundamentals.

You might also find this webinar on building apps useful -- it goes through a lot of areas pretty fast but is a good overview of how all the parts can come together: http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/Developing_Cloud_Apps_for_Non-Developers. There's also a series of tutorials on that page.