function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
petec@i2isyspetec@i2isys 

Email workflow action on custom object with associated cases

Hello,
I have a custom object that has associated cases with it. So a Dev Project(my custom object) may or may not have a case associated with it. I want a workflow rule to trigger an email when the dev project status = completed. I want the email to go to the case owner. When I get to creating the email workflow action, it does not let me select case owner as the recipient. I've tried to run this on the object and on the junction object that associates cases with dev projects, but in each case, I can't select the case owner as recipient.  There is no problem getting the criteria to trigger the action, it's just that I can't get the email to be sent to the associated case owner.

MellowRenMellowRen

I have had a number of similar problems which all come down to the fact that formulas (including those in workflows) can not access the record details of an object’s owner.

Ultimately I usually have a trigger to do the basic work of getting me access to the e-mail address. There are various ways you can do it, one would be:

1. Have an e-mail field in Dev Project which will contain the Case Owner's e-mail address.
  2. Have a before-insert before-update trigger on Cases which tests if the Case is associated with a Dev Project and, if so, copies the Case Owner's e-mail address to the field in that Dev Project.
  3. Use your already created workflow from this point. Have the e-mail update recipient be from a field.

Hope this helps.

Regards

MellowRen

petec@i2isyspetec@i2isys
Hello MellowRen
Thanks, I will give this a try!

Pete Castagnetta | Director of Operations | i2i Systems | 707-575-7100 x118 | petec@i2isys.com | www.i2isys.com

[cid:image001.jpg@01CE2EAC.721FC3A0]

This message, including files attached to it, may contain confidential information that is intended only for the use of the ADDRESSEE(s) named above. If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this information contained in this message, or the taking of any action in reliance upon the information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy any and all copies of the original message