function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sridhar BonagiriSridhar Bonagiri 

How to restrict a particular type of record

Hi All,

I have records in contacts object which are having  two types of 'contact type' like 'CEO'  and 'Manager',

i don't want users to delete the contact records which are of  'CEO' , this can be achieved through trigger, but i want to show custom message in the page.

how can this achieved. 

thanks in advance.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
michaelforcemichaelforce

Hi, I just coded a very similar example the other day... it throws a custom error message when a user attempts to approve a record without filling in some fields on the record first.  The error message is the part I wanted to share... try adding that line to your code and see what it looks like (should display at the top of the record).  Obviously, you will want a 'before delete' trigger type.

trigger questionnaireEnforcer on Deal_Registration__c (before Update) { for(Deal_Registration__c dr : Trigger.New){ // enforces that the questionnaire is populated before approval if(dr.approval_status__c.contains('Approved') && dr.Questionnaire_Completed__c=='No'){ dr.addError('You must complete the Internal Questionnaire in order to approve this record, to do this click \'Edit\' on the record.'); } } }

All Answers

michaelforcemichaelforce

Hi, I just coded a very similar example the other day... it throws a custom error message when a user attempts to approve a record without filling in some fields on the record first.  The error message is the part I wanted to share... try adding that line to your code and see what it looks like (should display at the top of the record).  Obviously, you will want a 'before delete' trigger type.

trigger questionnaireEnforcer on Deal_Registration__c (before Update) { for(Deal_Registration__c dr : Trigger.New){ // enforces that the questionnaire is populated before approval if(dr.approval_status__c.contains('Approved') && dr.Questionnaire_Completed__c=='No'){ dr.addError('You must complete the Internal Questionnaire in order to approve this record, to do this click \'Edit\' on the record.'); } } }

This was selected as the best answer
PragadheeshwariPragadheeshwari

Of Course,

You can add like

contact.type.addError('You cant delete the Record');

Sridhar BonagiriSridhar Bonagiri

thanks for quick reqply

can we add a custom message and can we able to get this message when we are delete the record using the delete link from related list