function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
uptime_andrewuptime_andrew 

Force.com IDE (Eclipse): "PermGen space" Error

Hello,

I'm getting an error today when trying to save APEX changes in Eclipse:  

"Save error: Unable to perform save on all files: PermGen space".

Is this a problem in my workspace, or in the SF Org I am developing in?

Thank you

schulttjschulttj
I don't know the cause, but I'm receiving the same.

It just stopped happening for me a moment ago now.  Maybe just more performance issues after yesterday's major outage?

schulttjschulttj
Most likely.  I'm still receiving the error, unfortunately.
mcrosbymcrosby
Even trying to refresh from the server (tapp0) through the IDE reports a "PermGen space" error.
schulttjschulttj
Ditto.  Nothing on trust.salesforce.com yet.
trsmithtrsmith
I'm also getting this error. At first I thought it was a local memory allocaton problem in Eclipse but increasing the memory allocation in eclipse.ini did nothing. I see now that it is a Salesforce problem... Here's hoping it is resolved soon. 
Curry-ManCurry-Man

Also receiving this error.  has anyone reported the issue to salesforce support?

richardvrichardv
Same for me.
mcrosbymcrosby
I've created a support ticket.
I've called in as well, Tier 1 doesn't appear to know anything about it at this point.
Curry-ManCurry-Man
What was the case number, please?
trsmithtrsmith

I created a support ticket as well and referenced this thread in it.

I get that error in Eclipse when trying to save to the server and in our Force.com site, I get the same error:

500 Servlet Exception

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space 

finalistfinalist
I'm just here to feel your pain ... *twiddles*
trsmithtrsmith
Mine is case # 03202196
mcrosbymcrosby
Case 03202163, but I'm sure there are others who are reporting similar issues to support.
Curry-ManCurry-Man
I don't suppose they gave you an eta on the resolution?
Curry-ManCurry-Man
Is anyone else noticing broken icons in the forum?
trsmithtrsmith
Our entire sandbox instance (CS0) is going up and down now. Currently it's throwing server errors. I don't understand why this isn't being reflected on trust.salesforce.com...
JonPJonP

PermGen space is definitely an client-side JVM error.  This is an out of memory exception when the amount of memory used by objects in the 'Permanent' generation (in terms of garbage collection) exceeds the available memory allocated by the JVM for this purpose.

To allocate more memory for Eclipse, add the following JVM parameters to your Eclipse command-line or eclipse.ini:

-Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m 

If you try this and still experience these errors, try increasing the -Xmx and -XX:MaxPermSize values. 

Jon

salesforce.com Product Manager 

trsmithtrsmith
That's what I originally thought, too. But that is the error actually being thrown by Salesforce itself. See my 500 error post above. The error is/was being thrown by the platform, not the client.
gtuerkgtuerk
Me too!!!  I installed Eclipse 3.4 (and associated IDE) because I thought this was just a problem with 3.3.2.  So not my day as I have a large deployment to do TODAY!!!
JonPJonP

I didn't realize how many messages there were on this thread with my last post, and I'll admit I hadn't read them all.

This (copied from a prior message) does look like a server problem:

500 Servlet Exception

So changing your local JVM params wouldn't help with that. In the past, users have reported client-side PermGen-related OOM issues with Eclipse and the Force.com IDE, so the instructions above may still come in handy.

Unfortunately I don't have any information about any server-side issues at this time, but keep an eye on the trust page for updates.

Thanks,

Jon 

trsmithtrsmith
That issue seems to have resolved itself for me, now. I am not getting the error in Eclipse or thorough Sites. Let's hope it stays that way! :)
finalistfinalist

I am still seeing the error - tapp0 is the server my sandbox is running in, for reference.  Hopefully the fix/issue will roll on through soon.

5:18 (EST) - no change on my side - I can run tests in my sandbox instance, but what I *want* to do is finish and test my trigger, and that ain't happening.  

6:16 a.m - I see the notice on trust.salesforce.com indicating that it was resolved, but there is no difference in my instance.  I added -vmargs -XX:PermSize=64M -XX:MaxPermSize=128M to my Eclipse.exe instance.

Errors: Save error: Unable to perform save on all files: PermGen space

I was working fine up until ~3:15 (EST) yesterday, have been unable to do anything since.  

Message Edited by finalist on 01-05-2010 02:19 PM
Message Edited by finalist on 01-06-2010 03:20 AM
Curry-ManCurry-Man

Seems to be fixxed on tapp0 now, but I plan on monitoring it for a while until my confidence is restored. 

There is still no posting on trust about this issue, which helps out a whole lot of nada.

JonPJonP

A status message was posted early this afternoon (Pacific time), which appeared at the top of the trust status page (and is still there right now).

The historical marker for the CS0 disruption is up there now too.

The issue was resolved at 1:16PM PST today.