function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DeeRDeeR 

Copying Opportunity Field Data to a new Custom Object - en masse

The problem is that the Opportunity was given two sets of custom fields: date paid (1 & 2), Amount paid (1 & 2) etc.

I've made a custom object, "payments", so that I can have any number of payment entries, but of course now I'd like to try and copy the old data, from the Opportunity, into the new object.

Would anyone know of any instruction material online (I've been looking but no joy so far) that might help me code such a project?

I'm possibly missing some obvious prebuilt method for doing so but then again, it seems a slightly custom chore.

Once I have all of these fields copied over I can delete these fields from the Opportunity.

The other reason I thought this piece of machinary (coding) invaluable is in the case that I need to redesign an object, eg. I dsicover I should have built it with Field Tracking or Reporting capabilities, and I then need to make a new object with such.

Many Thanks for any advice or links you might know of.

Dee

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
InsertWittyNameInsertWittyName
You could always just export the relevant fields using the data loader, manipulate the field names (or whatever) in Excel, then upload them as new objects via the data loader.

All Answers

InsertWittyNameInsertWittyName
You could always just export the relevant fields using the data loader, manipulate the field names (or whatever) in Excel, then upload them as new objects via the data loader.
This was selected as the best answer
DeeRDeeR

Hi Witty, thanx for the reply.

I've only used the Data Loader a couple of times, I've been finding the SForce connector for Excel a bit friendlier somehow.

Sounds like it's worth a try, I'll come back here doubtless with some silly questions when I get stuck :)

Seems it will take some tweaking tho, needing to ask it to have new fields n such, especially the linking to the appropriate Opportunities (M/Ds)

cheers and thanx!

D