function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
joannjoann 

Not Sure if Trigger is right solution...

Hi Everyone,

I'm working on a solution to export records that meet do not have a date in a customer field called Extract_Date__c.  I have a controller and a VF page that displays the records and a button on the VF page that exports the data in a .csv format.  Once the records have been exported, I need to update the Extract_Date__c field with the date the records were extracted. 

I have a method written that updates the field, but not sure how to update the records once they are extracted.  I was thinking a trigger, but am not sure.  Any thoughts?

Thanks for your assistance!

JoAnn

NaishadhNaishadh

r u deleting data from database or just export them? If only export use future method in your apex class after you are done with export.

ahab1372ahab1372

I assume you have a button "Export" on your VF age that calles an action method which does the export. In that action method, include a loop that iterates through the list of records and sets the date field to System.today(). Then include an update call.

A trigger will not help here.

public PageReference yourActionMethod()
{
   --- your Code to do the csv export here ---

for(yourObject theRecord:recordList)  //just making up variable names here, replace with your variables
   {
      theRecord.Extract_Date__c = System.today();
    }
    update recordList;

return PageReference (--- your PageReference here, you probably have this already ---)
}

incuGuSincuGuS

If you can implement Ahab1372's approach , i think its the most straightforward solution.

After being done with the export , update the records you just exported.

If you have any doubts on how to implement , reply and ill be glad to help you out.

Gaston.