function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Chris987654321Chris987654321 

Help with Batch Apex code

global BatchUpdateAdmissionsGoals(String q, String e, String f, String v){
		Query=q; Entity=e; Field=f;Value=v;
		opportunityList = new List <Opportunity> ();
global Database.QueryLocator start(Database.BatchableContext BC){		

return Database.getQueryLocator(query);		
	} 

global void execute(Database.BatchableContext BC, List<sObject> scope){
		//List <Admissions_Goal__c> goalsToUpdate = new List<Admissions_Goal__c>();
		Integer totalLeads, weeklyLeads;
		for(sObject s : scope){
				if(s.getsObjectType() == Opportunity.sObjectType) {

Opportunity o = (Opportunity)s;
				 	opportunityList.add(o);		
				}
		}
		System.debug('*** Opp list size ' + opportunityList.size());
}

global void finish(Database.BatchableContext BC){
System.debug('*** Opp list size ' + opportunityList.size());
}

I am trying to write some batch Apex. When the following anonymous code block

string query = 
            'SELECT Id, OwnerID, Academic_Start_Date__c, Date_Booked__c  ' +
            'FROM Opportunity WHERE ID=\'006S0000003imhy\''; 

BatchUpdateAdmissionsGoals updateAdmissionsGoalsJob = new BatchUpdateAdmissionsGoals (query, '', '', '');
        ID admissionsGoalsBatchJobID = Database.executeBatch(updateAdmissionsGoalsJob); 

:

When I call the the debug statement that gets the opportunityList.size() the first time and I get 1 as expected. But when I call it in the Finish() method again, I get 0. It doesn't seem to keep the the items in opportunityList when it gets to the Finish() method

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
nnewbold-sfdcnnewbold-sfdc

You need to implement the stateful interface to maintain your list.  See the section, Using State in Batch Apex at the following URL:

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/apexcode/Content/apex_batch_interface.htm

Note the following line from the documentation: "If you do not specify Database.Stateful, all member variables in the interface methods are set back to their original values."

However, I would not recommend using the approach of maintaining a list of opportunities in your batch class.  You are likely to hit the heap limit very quickly.

All Answers

nnewbold-sfdcnnewbold-sfdc

You need to implement the stateful interface to maintain your list.  See the section, Using State in Batch Apex at the following URL:

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/apexcode/Content/apex_batch_interface.htm

Note the following line from the documentation: "If you do not specify Database.Stateful, all member variables in the interface methods are set back to their original values."

However, I would not recommend using the approach of maintaining a list of opportunities in your batch class.  You are likely to hit the heap limit very quickly.

This was selected as the best answer
Chris987654321Chris987654321

I see. Thank you. I think I will find another way to solve my problem but this is helpful for future reference.