function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
BrianHBrianH 

SOQL - Inner Select and Eliminating rows

I am using an inner select to retrieve Account and Asset data.  What I want to do, is eliminate any row where the assets child object is empty.

For example:

Query =  Select a.Name, a.Id, (Select Id, Name, Status From Assets WHERE Status = 'Purchased') From Account a

Results

ID Name Assets
1 Act1 (5)
2 Act2
3 Act3 (1)

What I would like is to have Act2 eliminated from the results since it doesn't have any assets matching my criteria.  How canI do that?

Message Edited by BrianH on 01-15-2010 08:57 AM
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
BrianHBrianH

I figured out a way to get what I need through the SOQL query.  It isn't the most elegant solution and I have the potential to hit governor limits faster, but it works.

SELECT a.Name, a.Id, (SELECT Id, Name, Status From Assets WHERE Status = 'Purchased')

FROM Account a

WHERE Id IN (SELECT AccountId From Asset WHERE Status = 'Purchased')

All Answers

mikefmikef

Brian

I did some testing and I can't find away to do this within the Query as a filter.

What you can do is something like this.

List<Account> accountsWithAssets = new List<Account>(); for(Account a : [select Id, Name, (select Id, Name, Status From Assets where Status = 'Purchased') from Account]){ if(a.Assets.size() > 0){ accountsWithAssets.add(a); } }

BrianHBrianH

Mike,

I am currently using your suggested approach in code.  However, in certain scenarios I am running into issues (has to do with paging).  I was hoping there would be a way to do it through a query filter.

BrianHBrianH

I figured out a way to get what I need through the SOQL query.  It isn't the most elegant solution and I have the potential to hit governor limits faster, but it works.

SELECT a.Name, a.Id, (SELECT Id, Name, Status From Assets WHERE Status = 'Purchased')

FROM Account a

WHERE Id IN (SELECT AccountId From Asset WHERE Status = 'Purchased')

This was selected as the best answer