function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JeriMorrisJeriMorris 

Spring '10 System Log window

I'm developing a VF page with a custom controller. I should be able to click the System Log link at the top of the page, see the System Log window appear, go back to my VF page, reload it, and then see a new Log appear in the System Log window, right?

The problem is that I don't see a new Log appear in the System Log window.

I've tried setting the Filter Settings to the lowest level possible (e.g., Finest), to no avail.  I've tried with the default Filter Settings. Nothing shows up in the "Logs recorded since..." list.

If I enter some Apex into the Execute Apex area and execute it, a log does show up in the list. But there doesn't seem to be anything I can do in my VF page that causes a log to be captured.

The only way I can get my VF page to display anything in the System Log window is if I turn on System / Monitoring / Debug Logs. But that's only good for 20 logs -- after that, I have to go back to System / Monitoring / Debug Logs and turn it back on again.  It's really unwieldy to have to do that when I'm trying to debug a VF page.

Before the new System Log feature, I could monitor what my VF page/controller was doing by just watching the System Log window. Now I have to repeatedly turn on Debug Logs -- is that really true? If so, is there any plan to correct that?

Message Edited by JeriMorris on 01-29-2010 12:48 PM
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
JeriMorrisJeriMorris

If you go to Setup / Monitoring / Debug Logs and turn on logging for your own user account, the System Log window seems to work properly. The problem is that, after 20 Debug Log entries, Salesforce turns off logging, and you have to manually turn it back on again.

I've now gotten into the habit of keeping the Setup / Monitoring / Debug Logs page open in one browser tab while I test my VF page in another tab. Every now and then, I switch back to the Debug Logs tab and hit Reset. It's a pain, but at least I can see what's getting written to the log while I'm testing my VF page.

All Answers

m_roarkm_roark
I also have encountered this issue and would like to know this answer.
RajManiaRajMania
I too faced this problem and the demo link is not working which is given in the site for new System Log screen
JeriMorrisJeriMorris

I don't know whether this is related, but when I type this:

System.debug('hello');

into the Execute Anonymous pane of the IDE, I get only "Anonymous execution was successful." I set the Log Level to Finest, and still don't see what I'm writing to the log in the IDE.

gtuerkgtuerk
I noticed the same thing.  I have Windows 7 with IE8 and using IE am unable to run anonymous Apex and get a log.  However, when I write exactly the same anonymous apex and execute using Firefox (3.5), everything works nicely.  Try that if you have firefox available to you
m_roarkm_roark

gterk,

Thank you for the suggestion.

However, while I do use Firefox 3.5, I need the logs generated from triggers fired and classes executed, not just anonymous APEX, to debug these before deployment into production.

This is this apparent functionality loss which is most concerning me.

jhartfieldjhartfield
I just wanted to report having the same issue.  Using Firefox 3.5.7 and no debugging information ever appears at all.  Unfortunately I'm trying to debug an AJAX enabled VF page so I can't use Eclipse to get the debug data as a workaround.
Message Edited by jhartfield on 02-08-2010 04:51 PM
JeriMorrisJeriMorris

If you go to Setup / Monitoring / Debug Logs and turn on logging for your own user account, the System Log window seems to work properly. The problem is that, after 20 Debug Log entries, Salesforce turns off logging, and you have to manually turn it back on again.

I've now gotten into the habit of keeping the Setup / Monitoring / Debug Logs page open in one browser tab while I test my VF page in another tab. Every now and then, I switch back to the Debug Logs tab and hit Reset. It's a pain, but at least I can see what's getting written to the log while I'm testing my VF page.

This was selected as the best answer
jhartfieldjhartfield

Thank Jeri, that works and is a fine workaround for me.

On a side note, I did notice that if I try to 'delete' any of the logs created it returns a 404 error. Anyone else notice that?

Message Edited by jhartfield on 02-09-2010 10:26 AM
m_roarkm_roark

Enabling my account in the Debug logs monitoring worked.  However, there are no notes in the Spring '10 release notes which indicate that this action would be necessary to use the System Log.

I would be interested in knowing why I have to do this with Spring '10 to get the logs to appear, and how this undocumented change was allowed.