function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
bikerdan76bikerdan76 

Is there a way to programmatically check the current version of the installed manage package?

Is there a way to programmatically check the current version of the installed manage package?
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
bikerdan76bikerdan76

Again, thank you for your time.  For those of you interested in this functionality, here is the link that you can use to promote it. 

https://sites.secure.force.com/ideaexchange/apex/ideaview?id=087300000007PdyAAE

All Answers

A_SmithA_Smith
Not from the installer's side, but you can somewhat do this from the package developer's side.  What are you trying to do?
bikerdan76bikerdan76

Basically, we have created a managed package that customers will install.  The package uses services to communicate with our own backend systems.  We would like to keep track of which versions our customers have installed so we can help them upgrade if needed.  We are currently hardcoding the version into the requests to our system and using that to update the data on our side.  We would like to grab the current version dynamically instead of hard coding it.  I hope that makes sense.  Please let me know if you need more information.  Your help is greatly appreciated!   Thanks!

Dan

A_SmithA_Smith
Ah, there isn't a way to meet this need today.  Storing this in a custom setting is probably the only way to do this in the meantime. 
bikerdan76bikerdan76

Is this something that you might add in the future?  It seems like a fairly valuable feature...  Thanks again for your help.

A_SmithA_Smith
Definitely something we'll consider adding.  I'd make sure you add your idea to the ideaExchange: ideas.salesforce.com
bikerdan76bikerdan76

Again, thank you for your time.  For those of you interested in this functionality, here is the link that you can use to promote it. 

https://sites.secure.force.com/ideaexchange/apex/ideaview?id=087300000007PdyAAE

This was selected as the best answer