function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
indranily81indranily81 

Is there any restriction for migrating the code from sandbox to production ?

Hi,

Is there any restriction for migrating the code from sandbox to production ? What I mean is suppose i have

some triggers, apex scripts , scontrols and VisualForce pages and controllers in my sandbox. What are the 

different options to move all these into production without hassle. I have heard a few cases where Apex code can

be created in sandbox but in production when  tried it gave permission denied though even after logging in as

sysadmin.

Regards

indranily81

crop1645crop1645

indranily81

Here's what I do:

* I develop using the Force.com IDE. My project points at the sandbox org

* I write exhaustive testmethods in Apex to check out all the code paths in my Apex classes and triggers.

* I use the Force.com IDE Deployment tool which identifies all the changes (adds/updates/deletes) between my sandbox org and PROD org.  For example, if I created 3 new APEX classes and 1 new APEX trigger, these will show up as 'Adds' in the Deployment tool.

* I execute the Deployment tool validation button - this will apply all of my deployment changes to PROD, execute all the testmethods, and report back the results.  If I did my job right, I will get back a green check mark.  I then click NEXT and the deployment takes effect.

Basically, what you are doing is freezing PROD's sObjects (fields, validation rules, workflows), developing in Sandbox, and then applying changes to PROD.  There are exceptions to this where you can get away with changing stuff in PROD while you are also making changes in sandbox but you need good record keeping to stay out of trouble.  Apex trigger and classes can't be developed in PROD, only deployed to PROD.

Message Edited by crop1645 on 11-09-2009 10:08 AM
indranily81indranily81

Hi crop1645,

Thank you very much for the valuable input.

cheers

Indranily81