function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
duke1duke1 

Aggregate functions with subqueries

From what I can tell from error messages, you are not allowed to use aggregate functions in subqueries.  Because of this limitation, I have rearranged my query so the aggregate functions are in the main query, but I am getting errors on the relationships.  Can someone help me sort this out?

I have renamed Opportunity as Dealer (plural: Dealers).

I have a Master-Detail relationship between Dealer (master) and custom sObject Car (plural is Cars), where there are many Car sObjects to one Dealer, and many Dealers to one Account.

I am trying to use the aggregate functions to sum up certain fields in the Car sObject for each Dealer.  For example, sum all the Car_Number_Field_1__c fields for all the Cars associated with one Dealer; then elsewhere I will roll up all these Dealer sums for each Account.

There are ways to do this without aggregate functions, but I am interested in getting this to work using aggregate functions.  The following select statement in the for statement will not compile.  I get errors in the subquery where the complier does not understand the relationship with Dealers__r and it doesn't understand Dealer__c.  Can someone help me figure out how to get this to compile?  Thanks.

I have created a Set of relevant Accounts in accountIDs

Map<Id, List<Decimal>> carTotals = new Map<Id, List<Decimal>>();

for (AggregateResult aggregateData : [select Dealer__c,

(select Id, AccountID from Dealers__r where Id = Dealer__c),
            SUM(Car_Number_Field_1__c) Car1Total, SUM(Car_Number_Field_2__c) Car2Total,
            SUM(Car_Number_Field_3__c) Car3Total from Car__c
            where AccountID in :accountIds Group by Dealer__c])  {

List<Decimal> carSums = new List<Decimal>{(Decimal)aggregateData.Get('Car1Total'),
          (Decimal)aggregateData.Get('Car2Total'), (Decimal)aggregateData.Get('Car3Total')};
     carTotals.put(AccountID, carSums);

}

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Going South.ax738Going South.ax738

On object definition, what is the fkey column name that you in Cars__c that refer to dealers object?

is it dealer__c or dealers__c?

If its dealer__c use dealer__r instead of dealers__r.

All Answers

For any group by with aggregates,  on the group by clause, you should include all columns that are not aggregates. Here in your query, your second parameter has 2 columns that does not make it to group by.

Try the following.

select Dealer__c,   Dealers__r.AccountID,
            SUM(Car_Number_Field_1__c) Car1Total, SUM(Car_Number_Field_2__c) Car2Total,
            SUM(Car_Number_Field_3__c) Car3Total from Car__c
            where AccountID in :accountIds Group by Dealer__c, Dealers__r.AccountID

duke1duke1

Thanks for your help.  I still get the following compiler error:

Error: Compile Error: Didn't understand relationship 'Dealers__r' in field path. If you are attempting to use a custom relationship, be sure to append the '__r' after the custom relationship name. Please reference your WSDL or the describe call for the appropriate names. at line 13 column 42

This is the Dealers__r.AccountID that it doesn't understand.

On object definition, what is the fkey column name that you in Cars__c that refer to dealers object?

is it dealer__c or dealers__c?

If its dealer__c use dealer__r instead of dealers__r.

This was selected as the best answer
duke1duke1

Thanks, dealer__r worked.