function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SunadminSunadmin 

Zip code wildcard search revisited

Hello, I have a lead zip code search Apex Controller and Visualforce page that I have been working on intermittently. I have posted other questions on this in the past, and have been able to refine the search as only numbers. However, it still gives random values for the number searches. I logged a case and they said to use a LIKE command with OR and include each searchable value. I have tried this but keep getting “unexpected token” errors when I compile.

Everything else is now working but I can’t seem to get it to do a wildcard search or to give exact values when they are entered for the search. Here is the controller. I left the LIKE '985%%'  in there because it will match this exact value but without it I get random values.

public class zipController {
    public String searchResults { get; set; }
    public String displayResults { get; set; }

String searchText;
    List<Lead> results;
    public String getSearchText() {
        return searchText;
    }

//get results of query
    public List<Lead> getResults() {
        return results;
    }
    public PageReference doSearch() {

//query and messages for results or no results
    results = [SELECT Company, Name, Email, PostalCode FROM Lead WHERE PostalCode LIKE '985%%' LIMIT 1000];			                                                                              
    apexPages.addmessage(new ApexPages.message(ApexPages.severity.INFO, searchText )); 
     if (results.size() == 0) {apexPages.addmessage(new ApexPages.message(ApexPages.severity.INFO, 
     'Sorry,no results for your current zip code search. Make sure you are using the proper format (99999)'));  
      }
     else         
      apexPages.addmessage(new ApexPages.message(ApexPages.severity.INFO, 'Here is your zip code search results')); 

return null;
    }
}

Here is the Visual Force page:

<apex:page controller="zipController">
    <apex:form >
     <apex:pageMessages />
        <apex:pageBlock mode="edit" id="block">
        <apex:pageBlockSection >
        <apex:pageBlockSectionItem >
    <apex:outputLabel for="searchText"> Enter zip code,5 digits, all numbers</apex:outputLabel>
        <apex:panelGroup >

<apex:inputText id="searchText" value="{!searchText}" onchange="return validateText(this.value);" />
    <apex:commandButton action="{!doSearch}" value="Search" id="commandbutton"onkeypress="13"/>
        <script> 
            function validateText(numb){ 
            if(isNaN(parseInt(numb))) {alert("Zip code must be entered in numbers only")  
            return false } 
            else  return true };
        </script>   
        </apex:panelGroup>
        </apex:pageBlockSectionItem>
        </apex:pageBlockSection>

<apex:actionStatus id="status" startText="requesting..."/>
     <apex:pageBlockSection title="Lead Zip Code Search" id="results" columns="1">
            <apex:pageBlockTable value="{!results}" var="l"
                rendered="{!NOT(ISNULL(results))}">
                    <apex:column value="{!l.postalcode}"/>
                    <apex:column value="{!l.company}"/>
                    <apex:column value="{!l.name}"/>
                    <apex:column value="{!l.email}"/>
            </apex:pageBlockTable>
         </apex:pageBlockSection>
           </apex:pageBlock>
       </apex:form>
</apex:page>

Thanks

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
SunadminSunadmin

Hi Aruna,

I was not able to solve the problem with Apex, and eventually scrapped the project. I got it to the testing phase and the users decided it was easier to use the search functions. All that work! However the only way I was able to control the zip code data was with the following statement in the code:

apexPages.addmessage(new ApexPages.message(ApexPages.severity.INFO, searchText )); 
     if (results.size() == 0) {apexPages.addmessage(new ApexPages.message(ApexPages.severity.INFO, 
     'Sorry,no results for your current zip code search. Make sure you are using the proper format (99999)'));  
      }
     else         
      apexPages.addmessage(new ApexPages.message(ApexPages.severity.INFO, 'Here is your zip code search results')); 

this way the users know they need to format it a certain way, otherwize the SOQL query will not work correctly. I hope this helps.

Thanks

All Answers

forecast_is_cloudyforecast_is_cloudy

Hi - you can use wildcard search with the LIKE operator in SOQL - I'm surprised you're getting 'random values'. Remember that the % wildcard matches zero or more characters while the _ wildcard matches exactly one character. So if you execute

SELECT Company, Name, Email, PostalCode FROM Lead WHERE PostalCode LIKE '985%' 

you should get all Leads whose zip starts with the number '985' (98543, 98562 etc.). If you execute

SELECT Company, Name, Email, PostalCode FROM Lead WHERE PostalCode LIKE '%985%' 

you should get all Leads whose zip contains the sequence '985' (49854, 56985 etc.).

What are the exact results that you're getting?

SunadminSunadmin

Hi, actually now I have an entirely new set of issues. I am getting a Visualforce error:

Read only property '[zipController].searchText' which just started. I have not changed anything related to searchText.

Any clues? I am running my Visualforce page as a custom link on my home page in the sandbox, but it was working fine until this happened.

Thanks,

forecast_is_cloudyforecast_is_cloudy

In the controller class, replace 

String searchText;
    public String getSearchText() {
        return searchText;
    }

with 

public String searchText {get; set;}

SunadminSunadmin

Thanks, that did it. Was it the return command that was confusing?

ArunaAruna

Hi ,

I do have same problem.

I need to get the zip code 43125-456  this formate.

how to do wildcard search on zip code.

mean i need to get the all number after '-' (456).

can you suggest me on this

Thank you

SunadminSunadmin

Hi Aruna,

I was not able to solve the problem with Apex, and eventually scrapped the project. I got it to the testing phase and the users decided it was easier to use the search functions. All that work! However the only way I was able to control the zip code data was with the following statement in the code:

}
     else         

this way the users know they need to format it a certain way, otherwize the SOQL query will not work correctly. I hope this helps.

Thanks

This was selected as the best answer