function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Eager-2-LearnEager-2-Learn 

Dataloader and picklist values?

Is there a way get a fields picklist values using the dataloader. 

A picklist could have 50 items in the list I would like to use the dataloader to get to the table that store those values?

I need the list and I am just to lazy to manually type the list into a document.:)

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Pradeep_NavatarPradeep_Navatar

There is no need to use dataloader for this. This is so simple. Go to field. Scroll down the page and go to picklist values. You will see a couple of buttons viz. 'New', 'Reorder', 'Replace', 'Printable View'. Click printable view button and you will get all the picklist values which you can cut and paste in your document.

Hope this helps.

All Answers

b-Forceb-Force

coool no need to go and type any picklist values manually

There is a application in app-exchange named as "Cloud Converter"

install it in your organization ,Its free of cost

and extract all metadata  it will give you list of all Picklist values in excell format

Hope this will help you

Thanks,

Bala 

Eager-2-LearnEager-2-Learn

Unfortunately, I cannot just install applicaitons into our org without going through a length process (RULES). I can use eclipse and get it I believe but I would have to delete, delete, delete tags :(

Still searching for the possibility to get to the table that holds the data.  If an app can do it then we should be able to as well.  You think?

I just used this query in the dataloader to get the job done but it only worked because every item in the list was used at least once.  I would still like to know the table that holds picklist information and how to get to it.

Select o.Business__c From Opportunity o
group by o.business__c

I take it back.  The dataloader gave me no results but it did show up in eclipse but eclipse will not allow me to selected the rows and copy:(

b-Forceb-Force

Yap,

Its possible to get all picklist values from API as well,

If anybody give you some Visual force page and show all picklist values on selected field on the page .......?

what say ....?

Thanks,

Bala

UncrasherUncrasher

I have no idea what you are telling me!!!

What is the table name that holds picklist values? 

Is it a single table that holds all pick list values for every other object's (table) picklist fields?

b-Forceb-Force

All picklist and Object information is stored in the form of METADATA in your Organization, Not in any Table 

As these are not in the form of Table

So you can not access them by DataLoader 

This METADATA information can be accessed using METADATA API

We can use this metadata API in Visual force page and get the list of Picklist values

drop me a mail if you want this.

Thanks,

Bala

b-Forceb-Force

I will send you some sample code,

It will take some time,

First tell me are SalesForce Developer or SaleForce User?

Thanks,

Bala

UncrasherUncrasher

I am a developer still learning SFDC/Apex/VF Pages/API, etc.

BritishBoyinDCBritishBoyinDC

If you have install the office toolkit it (e.g. if you already the Outlook Connector installed) the Excel Connector is the easiest way:

http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/Members:Force.com_Excel_Connector

You can describe any object, which will extract each field for an Object into Excel. The comments field contains the picklist values for every picklist field on that object

Do a quick search for a getcommenttext macro for excel, and you can extract the picklist values for each object you describe...

Pradeep_NavatarPradeep_Navatar

There is no need to use dataloader for this. This is so simple. Go to field. Scroll down the page and go to picklist values. You will see a couple of buttons viz. 'New', 'Reorder', 'Replace', 'Printable View'. Click printable view button and you will get all the picklist values which you can cut and paste in your document.

Hope this helps.

This was selected as the best answer