function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
emuelasemuelas 

Need help in update trigger

Hi,

I am trying to write an update trigger for the following requirement:

I have a custom object purchase order lines which has the fields:Received Quantity,Purchase order Receipt(lookup) ,Product(lookup).
I have another custom object Product_Serial which has the following fields:Purchase order Receipt(lookup) ,Product(lookup).

Now whenever the received quantity on the purchase order line is updated,I want an  after update trigger to be fired that does:

*Check the count of product serial records having the product and purchase order receipt combination .
*For example, the received quantity was initially 4 and there are 4 product serial records.When the received quantity is updated to 6, the update trigger is fired
and it first  checks that i have 4 product serials for this product and  purchase_order_receipt combination.
*So i have to create 6-4 =2 product serial records  with this product and purchase_order_receipt combination.

I have tried to create the trigger for this as follows.but iam unable to get this to work.please help me!

trigger createserial on Purchase_Order_Line__c (after update)
//Trigger to get fired when a purchase order line record is updated.

{
public Purchase_order_line__c[] pol = Trigger.new;
//Create a variable reference to the object fired by the trigger.

Integer serialcount =[select count() from product_serial__c where product__c in
 (select product__c from purchase_order_line__c where id=:pol.id) and purchase_order_receipt__c in (select purchase_order_receipt_c from  purchase_order_line__c where id=:pol.id )];
//Get the count of product serial records for the selected purchase_order_line

Integer diff=pol.received_quantity__c-serialcount;

//Get the difference of records to determine if any new product serial records are to be created.

for (integer i=0 ;i<diff;i++){

Product_serial__c  obj = new Product_serial__c(
product__c=pol.product__c,
purchase_order_receipt__c=pol.purchase_order_receipt__c);
//create new product serial records

insert obj;
//insert is placed in loop so that for each iteration the record is inserted.
}

}

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
giri rockzzzzgiri rockzzzz

This might help you.....

trigger MyFirstObjectTrigger on purchase_order_lines__c (after update) {

Product_serial__c  obj;

for(Purchase_order_lines__c pp:Trigger.new)
{
for(Integer i=0;i<pp.Received_Quantity__c;i++)
{
 (select product__c from purchase_order_lines__c where id=:pp.id) and   Purchase_order_Receipt__c in (select    Purchase_order_Receipt__c from  purchase_order_lines__c where id=:pp.id )];

for(Integer z=0;z<pp.Received_Quantity__c-serialcount;z++)
{
obj = new Product_serial__c(name='Hari',product__c=pp.product__c,Purchase_order_Receipt__c=pp.Purchase_order_Receipt__c);
insert obj;
}
}
}
}

All Answers

ngabraningabrani

What is the specific problem that you are running into. Are you getting compilation errors, or does the trigger does not behave as expected?

A few ideas --

a) Do you get the correct value for pol.received_quantity__c and serialcount? That may be something to check.

b) Since pol is an array, you will need to iterate through the elements of pol, and access its fields by something like pol[i].id rather than pol.id.

c) The statement insert obj; should be moved outside the for loop. In the loop you should create an array of Product_serial__c objects, and then insert them together outside the loop with one insert statement.

This might help you.....

trigger MyFirstObjectTrigger on purchase_order_lines__c (after update) {

Product_serial__c  obj;

for(Purchase_order_lines__c pp:Trigger.new)
{
{
 (select product__c from purchase_order_lines__c where id=:pp.id) and   Purchase_order_Receipt__c in (select    Purchase_order_Receipt__c from  purchase_order_lines__c where id=:pp.id )];

{
obj = new Product_serial__c(name='Hari',product__c=pp.product__c,Purchase_order_Receipt__c=pp.Purchase_order_Receipt__c);
insert obj;
}
}
}
}

This was selected as the best answer
emuelasemuelas

Hi guys,

The trigger is giving me compilation errors...

please help me to iterate through an array and use an insert statement outside the loop as suggested.

The compilation error I am getting is:

"Error: Compile Error: semi join sub selects can only query id fields, cannot use: 'Purchase_order_Receipt__c' at line 10 column 22"

My code is :

trigger MyFirstObjectTrigger on purchase_order_line__c (after update) {

Product_serial__c  obj;

for(Purchase_order_line__c pp:Trigger.new)
{
{

(select product__c from purchase_order_line__c where id=:pp.id) and   Purchase_order_Receipt__c in (select    Purchase_order_Receipt__c from  purchase_order_line__c where id=:pp.id )];

{
obj = new Product_serial__c
(product__c=pp.produc​t__c,Purchase_order_Receipt__c=pp.Purchase_order_R​eceipt__c);
insert obj;
}
}
}
}

It works fine for me.....

emuelasemuelas

Hi Giri,

Ok i guess the purchase_order_receipt__c  must be a lookup field(i had a text field) and i changed that....no longer getting that error...

Now iam getting this error:

Error: Compile Error: Invalid field produc​t__c for SObject Purchase_Order_Line__c at line 18 column 13

This is at this part:

obj = new Product_serial__c
(product__c=pp.produc​t__c,Purchase_order_Receipt__c=pp.Purchase_order_R​eceipt__c);
insert obj;

product__c is a valid field name for purchase_order_line__c object!!!

Please help!!!!!!!

emuelasemuelas

okays...finally got this one!

Thanks guys!