function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
naresh johnnaresh john 

How to upgrade a managed packakge

I created a managed package in developer account. I installed it in another account(Testing account) successfully. 

Now I made some modifications to my package and uploaded to the appexchange. How to upgrade my package in testing account with out uninstalling it.

Please help me.

Thanks,

Naresh.B

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Imran MohammedImran Mohammed

Beta packages are not upgradeable.

So you need to uninstall and install the new one.

Once you uninstall, you will get a downloadable file which contains all the data you created in that app.

You can use Data Loader to push the data back into the objects after reinstallation is done.

But all this will be painful.

I will suggest you go with Managed release. But make sure that you dont include any unnecessary components as they will be locked and will not be removable.

All Answers

Ispita_NavatarIspita_Navatar

It is very simple, just install the new version of your package in the test org. When you upgraded your package , a new version must have been created with its own install URL, install the upgrade with that new URL in your test org and only the components that have been added will we added to your org.

Did this answer your question? If not, let me know what didn't work, or if so, please mark it solved.

naresh johnnaresh john

Thanks for the reply.

If I install it again. can't I loose my old data? Please let me know. 

Thanks,

Naresh

No Naresh there won't be any loss of data.

IN case you don't  confidence in what i say, probably do this

1. Create another dev org

2. Intall old version there

3. Create some data

4. Then install your latest version

5. Check for the test data created.

Once you are sure then upgrade your test org.

If you do an upgrade in any org, there will be no data loss that was created earlier in that application.

naresh johnnaresh john

Thanks alot for the reply again. 

I tried to install it again But the error I got is.

"You cannot upgrade a beta package, because developers can make incompatible changes to a package that has been released as a beta. To install a newer version of the package, you must first uninstall the existing version."

So How can I upgrade a beta package.

Thanks,

Naresh

A beta package cannot be upgraded, it has to be installed again after uninstalling the previous version.

Beta packages are not upgradeable.

So you need to uninstall and install the new one.

Once you uninstall, you will get a downloadable file which contains all the data you created in that app.

You can use Data Loader to push the data back into the objects after reinstallation is done.

But all this will be painful.

I will suggest you go with Managed release. But make sure that you dont include any unnecessary components as they will be locked and will not be removable.

This was selected as the best answer
naresh johnnaresh john

Thank you very much for your help.