function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DaveHagmanDaveHagman 

Weird SingleEmailMessage exception

Hey All,

I have a trigger set on a custom object called Feature_Setup__c. The details of what the object does isn't really relevant but the main purpose of the trigger is to send an email whenever one of these objects is created. I have a custom email template setup and I am setting the WhatId for the SingleEmailMessage to the Id of the Feature_Setup__c object. When I do this and then call the Messaging.SendEmail() method I get the following exception:

Error: Invalid Data. 
Review all error messages below to correct your data.
Apex trigger New_Feature_Setup_Send_Email caused an unexpected exception, contact your administrator: New_Feature_Setup_Send_Email: execution of AfterInsert caused by: System.EmailException: SendEmail failed. First exception on row 0; first error: INVALID_ID_FIELD, WhatId is not available for sending emails to UserIds.: []: Trigger.New_Feature_Setup_Send_Email: line 46, column 17

The exception is saying that WhatId is not available for sending emails to UserIds.  I am not using the WhatId to send to a User it is set to the Id of my custom object. Anyone have any ideas on what this exception could mean? I'm at a loss.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
DaveHagmanDaveHagman

Hi Ankit,

Thanks for the response. I checked the Field Level Security and everything is set to Visible. I did finally solve this issue but the weird thing is I didn't do anything differently. I think there was some kind of system issue with SF because all of a sudden the code worked without throwing an exception. Very weird but everything is working fine now.

All Answers

kurtz_wolfgangkurtz_wolfgang

two steps to resolve this:

-SaveAsActivity must be explicitly set to False when you are using a User as a TargetObjectId.

- Make sure that you have the "Allow Activities" enabled on the sobject for whatever you are passing in your WhatId.

Credit goes to the users in the following link. I just copied their solution for you.

http://forums.sforce.com/t5/Apex-Code-Development/SingleEmailMessage-using-setTemplateId-NEED-URGENT-HELP/td-p/98813/page/2

DaveHagmanDaveHagman

I made sure that saveAsActivity = false and that I have Allow Activities checked off for the object and both are done but I am still getting the same exception. It is weird because that is the exact problem I am having (In the link you posted) but the resolution doesn't work...

DaveHagmanDaveHagman

So I got around the other exception by simply not specifying a User ID in the setTargetObjectId() method. Now I am getting another error which I have never seen before and cannot find any documentation on. This time I will post the relevant code snippet and the error. First the code. This code just sends an email when a new Feature_Setup__c object is created. I am specifying the Id of the Feature_Setup__c object in the setWhatId() method. This shouldn't be a problem because the documentation says a custom object can be specified. Here is the code:

else 
{
   User u = [SELECT Email, Id FROM User us
            WHERE us.Id = :a.CDM_User__c limit 1];
   String toAddress = (String)u.Email;
   //Email the CDM
   Messaging.SingleEmailMessage Email_CDM_2 = new Messaging.SingleEmailMessage();
   Email_CDM_2.setTargetObjectId(allysonContactId);
   Email_CDM_2.setWhatId(f.id);  // f.Id is the Id of the Feature_Setup__c object
   Email_CDM_2.setTemplateId(NeedsTrainingEmailTemplate);
   String[] ccAddresses = new String[] {'email@email.com'};
   Email_CDM_2.setCcAddresses(ccAddresses);

Messaging.sendEmail(new Messaging.Email[] { Email_CDM_2 });
}

And this is the exception error I get when my tests run:

System.DmlException: Insert failed. First exception on row 0; first error: CANNOT_INSERT_UPDATE_ACTIVATE_ENTITY,  New_Feature_Setup_Send_Email: execution of AfterInsert caused by: System.EmailException: SendEmail failed. First exception on row 0; first  error: FIELD_INTEGRITY_EXCEPTION, Opportunity/Account ID: id value of incorrect type: a0L30000004Wci6EAC: [WhatId]  Trigger.New_Feature_Setup_Send_Email: line 89, column 17

Honestly I am out of ideas at this point... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ankit AroraAnkit Arora

Hi DaveHagman,

I am not sure but please try once after ensuring that the profile from which you are running these classes/trigger must have "Visible" rights for all fileds of Task/Activity/Event (Field Level Security).

You can do this by :

Setup > Administration Setup > Manage Users > Profiles > System Administrator > Field-Level Security > View (Task)

Give "Visible" rights to all fields and try.

Thanks

Ankit Arora

Blog | Facebook | Blog Page

DaveHagmanDaveHagman

Hi Ankit,

Thanks for the response. I checked the Field Level Security and everything is set to Visible. I did finally solve this issue but the weird thing is I didn't do anything differently. I think there was some kind of system issue with SF because all of a sudden the code worked without throwing an exception. Very weird but everything is working fine now.

This was selected as the best answer