function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
BusyBoyBusyBoy 

Apex Classes/ Triggers on Developer Edition

I am new to SFDC. I am using Developer Edition. My friends told me that i can create apex classes and triggers in the Developer Edition. But somehow when i login to DE and go to develop->apex triggers, i dont see the "new" button to create a trigger. What i am doing now is create a sandbox out of the DE and creating triggers there. So is there somethign i am missing? do i need to change any config settings to enable apex triggers in DE?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Tom DJTom DJ

I just checked my Develepor Edition and you are right.  I don't see a way to create one using the online pages.  Strange.

I have been creating my Triggers using the force IDE, which is Eclipse with a Salesforce plugin.  From within the IDE you just click on "File->New->Apex Trigger".

This page talks about the IDE and has a link to a page for installing it.

http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/Force.com_IDE

Tom

All Answers

BomanBoman

Create in SB, deploy to Production.

BusyBoyBusyBoy

Even in Developer Edition ?

Tom DJTom DJ

I just checked my Develepor Edition and you are right.  I don't see a way to create one using the online pages.  Strange.

I have been creating my Triggers using the force IDE, which is Eclipse with a Salesforce plugin.  From within the IDE you just click on "File->New->Apex Trigger".

This page talks about the IDE and has a link to a page for installing it.

http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/Force.com_IDE

Tom

This was selected as the best answer
Tom DJTom DJ

I forgot to mention.  In the Developer Edition you can create triggers using the eclipse IDE without using a sandbox.

BusyBoyBusyBoy

Thanks a lot Tom. I just wanted someone to say its not working. I thought i did something wrong :)  Thanks for the info on the Eclipse. I will probably try that.

Pradeep_NavatarPradeep_Navatar

Since trigger is written on an object, so you need to go to object's detail page and find related list named 'Trigger'.
Here you will find new button for creating trigger.

To write trigger on custom object: goto setup--> AppSetup--> Create--> Objects--> click on object for which you want to write a trigger--> find 'trigger' relatedlist

To write trigger on standard objects: goto Setup--> Customize--> click on object name for which you want to write a trigger---> click on trigger link