function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Laytro80Laytro80 

APEX Trigger Button and Assignment Problem

Below is my code which works on a custom lead object.  The work I am doing is on a force.com org which does not have the standard lead object.  On the custom lead object I have a check box called convert.  When checked a trigger fires and using the data contained in the lead it creates a contact and an account.

Problem 1 - I want to link the account and contact but I can't get it to work, I guess it's because the account is not yet created

Problem 2 - Instead of checking the tick box I would instead like a detail page button when clicked it would fire the trigger below

trigger ConvertTrigger on fp_lead__c (after insert, after update) {
System.Debug('## >>> Trigger executing run by ' + UserInfo.getName());

fp_lead__c[] myLeadsToProcess = new fp_lead__c[]{};
    for(Integer i=0 ; i<Trigger.new.size() ; i++) {
        if (  Trigger.new[i].convert__c == true ) {

myLeadsToProcess.add(Trigger.new[i]);  // build list of recs to process

}
    }
    if(myLeadsToProcess.size()>0){

Contact[] myNewContact = new Contact[]{};
        Account[] myNewAccount = new Account[]{};

for (fp_lead__c myLead : myLeadsToProcess) {

Account act = new Account();
            act.name = myLead.company__c;
            act.website = myLead.website__c;
            myNewAccount.add(act);

Contact con = new Contact();
            con.firstname = myLead.First_Name__c;
            con.lastname = myLead.Last_Name__c;            
            con.phone = myLead.Phone__c;
            con.mobilephone = myLead.Mobile__c;
            con.fax = myLead.Fax__c;
            con.email = myLead.Email__c;
            con.title = myLead.Title__c;
            con.salutation = myLead.Salutation__c;
            myNewContact.add(con); 

}     
            insert myNewContact;
            insert myNewAccount;
        }

System.Debug('## >>> Trigger END <<<');
}

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Ritesh AswaneyRitesh Aswaney

You could either :

1) Expose a web method which can be invoked on a custom button click to execute the conversion code

OR

2) Use a Custom VF Page with a Custom Controller, which is invoked on the button click.

My personal preference is Option 2, coz it might be easier to display any errors to the User.

Here's a good post on how to invoke Apex Code use a custom VF page on a button click :

http://sfdc.arrowpointe.com/2009/01/08/invoke-apex-from-a-custom-button-using-a-visualforce-page/

As for the linking problem, you need to insert the Account first and then associate the Account Id with the Contact, before inserting it.

Given that this solution will not be a bulkified solution, as it only needs to be invoked on the single record on a button click, it could probably read

insert Account;

contact.AccountId = Account.Id;

insert contact;

All Answers

Ritesh AswaneyRitesh Aswaney

You could either :

1) Expose a web method which can be invoked on a custom button click to execute the conversion code

OR

2) Use a Custom VF Page with a Custom Controller, which is invoked on the button click.

My personal preference is Option 2, coz it might be easier to display any errors to the User.

Here's a good post on how to invoke Apex Code use a custom VF page on a button click :

http://sfdc.arrowpointe.com/2009/01/08/invoke-apex-from-a-custom-button-using-a-visualforce-page/

As for the linking problem, you need to insert the Account first and then associate the Account Id with the Contact, before inserting it.

Given that this solution will not be a bulkified solution, as it only needs to be invoked on the single record on a button click, it could probably read

insert Account;

contact.AccountId = Account.Id;

insert contact;

This was selected as the best answer
Laytro80Laytro80

Thanks, on problem 2 I simply move the insert account above the contact build.

Cheers

R