function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Tin013Tin013 

Newbie Trigger question

Hi all,

I have a custom HR_Job__c object. On which I have Application_Status__c picklist field. Everytime a value is changed, I would like to create a task on the related filed with task subject being the updated value from the Application_Status__c pick list.

I know it can be done through a trigger but I am not sure how I can go about implementing this.

If someone can point me to the right direction, i would be very thankful.

Many thanks!

Tim

Ritesh AswaneyRitesh Aswaney

This sounds like something you could achieve using Workflow too right - using the New Task Workflow Action.

http://shivasoft.in/blog/webtech/salesforce/step-by-step-salesforce-tutorial-–-creating-workflow-rule-–-5-of-n/

Tin013Tin013

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I am afriad not. I actually thought of that. With workflow, I wouldn't be able to bring down the status field value into the task subject line. 

I also need to put in a few other info into Task such as status and date etc.

I think the  only way around to this is through trigger.

Could someone tell where I could find a similar example to meet this sort of requirements please?

Thanks

Ritesh AswaneyRitesh Aswaney

trigger HRJobAfter on HR_Job__c {after update}

{

Task[] tasksToInsert = new Task[]{};

for(HR_Job__c hrJob : trigger.New)

{

if(trigger.OldMap.get(hrJob.Id).Application_Status__c != hrJob.Application_Status__c)

{

//IN THE CONSTRUCTOR SET WHATEVER ELSE FIELDS YOU NEED, I'VE JUST SET WHATID AND SUBJECT 

tasksToInsert.add(new Task(WhatId=hrJob.Id, Subject=hrJob.Application_Status__c);

}

}

if(tasksToInsert != null && !tasksToInsert.isEmpty())

Database.insert(tasksToInsert);

}

Tin013Tin013

Hi