function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
agieragier 

Trigger help for preventing dups

I have a number of triggers in place on the Contacts object to prevent duplicate contacts from being entered. Now that we have multiple user groups on our org, I'd like to exclude records with a particular record type. Where would I insert this into the below two triggers for example? Thanks!

trigger ContactDuplicateTriggerAcct on Contact (before insert) {

Map<String, Contact> contactLookup = new Map<String, Contact>();

List<Id> accountIds = new List<Id>();

List<String> firstNames = new List<String>();

List<String> lastNames = new List<String>();

for (Contact c : Trigger.new) {

accountIds.add(c.AccountId);

firstNames.add(c.FirstName);

lastNames.add(c.LastName);

contactLookup.put(c.AccountId + ':' + c.FirstName + ':' + c.LastName, c);

}

for (Contact c : [SELECT Id, AccountId, FirstName, LastName FROM Contact WHERE (FirstName in :firstNames and LastName in :lastNames) AND AccountId in :accountIds]) {

if (contactLookup.containsKey(c.AccountId + ':' + c.FirstName + ':'  + c.LastName)) {

contactLookup.get(c.AccountId + ':' + c.FirstName + ':' + c.LastName).LastName.addError('Contact cannot be created. A contact already exists with the same name-account combination.');

} 

}

}

Email trigger:

trigger ContactDuplicateTriggerEmail2 on Contact (before insert) {

List<String> emailList = new List<String>();

Set<String> lookupList = new Set<String>();

emailList.add(c.email);

}

for (Contact cl : [SELECT Email FROM Contact WHERE Email in :emailList AND Email != ''])

lookupList.add(cl.Email);

if (lookupList.contains(c.Email)) {

c.LastName.addError('Contact cannot be created. A contact already exists with the same email address.');

}

}

}

VPrakashVPrakash

Hello,

Try to add this query 

id recordtypeid = [select id from recordtype where name='Standard' and sobject='contact'].id;

exclude the contacts with the above recordtypeid in the for using 

if(c.recordtypeid != recordtypeid){

accountIds.add(c.AccountId);

firstNames.add(c.FirstName);

lastNames.add(c.LastName);

contactLookup.put(c.AccountId + ':' + c.FirstName + ':' + c.LastName, c);

}

}

agieragier

Looks simple enough! Thanks for your quick reply. With the query, I get the following error for that line:

No such column 'sobject' on entity 'RecordType'.

VPrakashVPrakash

Sorry, try sobjecttype

agieragier

That worked like a charm! I thank you very much! Now I tried to modify the email dup code in a similar manner and have the following code which displays this error:

Compile Error: line 6:28 no viable alternative at character ' ' at line 6 column 28

trigger ContactDuplicateTriggerEmail2 on Contact (before insert) {
    List<String> emailList = new List<String>();
       Set<String> lookupList = new Set<String>();
        id recordtypeid = [select id from recordtype where name='DTA' and sobjecttype='contact'].id;
    for (Contact c : Trigger.new) {
        emailList.add(c.email);
    }
}
    for (Contact cl : [SELECT Email FROM Contact WHERE Email in :emailList AND Email != ''])

if (lookupList.contains(c.Email)) {
            c.LastName.addError('Contact cannot be created. A contact already exists with the same email address.');
        }
    }
}

VPrakashVPrakash

Code looks fine to me, This should work. May be try to type the code instead of copy-paste it

ajayDixitajayDixit

also add the condition in select query used to fetch Contacts. i.e.

for (Contact c : [SELECT Id, AccountId, FirstName, LastName FROM Contact 

WHERE (FirstName in :firstNames and LastName in :lastNames) AND AccountId in :accountIds and recordtypeid != 'xyz'']) 

where xyz is 18 digit recordtype id which can be obtained from recordType Object. This will optimized. 

agieragier

Really appreciate the help! I finally got back to this and got the email trigger working and also incorporated the additional suggested line fo rthe record type id. Now I'm trying to figure out how to exclude a second record type and have the correct syntax. I tried one method which did not work. Any suggestions? Code is below. Thx!!

trigger ContactDuplicateTriggerEmail2 on Contact (before insert) {
    List<String> emailList = new List<String>();
       Set<String> lookupList = new Set<String>();
        id recordtypeid = [select id from recordtype where name='DTA' and sobjecttype='contact'].id;
        emailList.add(c.email);
    }
}
    for (Contact cl : [SELECT Email FROM Contact WHERE Email in :emailList AND Email != '' AND recordtypeid !='012500000005HYMAA2'])

if (lookupList.contains(c.Email)) {
            c.LastName.addError('Contact cannot be created. A contact already exists with the same email address.');
        }
    }
}