function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
TracMikeLTracMikeL 

Real Time Integration

How would you go about doing real time integration with a 3rd party application from Salesforce?

If you make Remote Calls via a trigger when a change occurs you have to use @future which has strict governor limits.

It's not possible to override the save button as far as I can see so there goes that...

How do people do this? is it even possible?

Ritesh AswaneyRitesh Aswaney
Yes real tine integration is quite commonplace.
Several routes
Workflow outbound messaging which is capable of sending ws callouts to external applications.
Triggers invoking future methods which you've just spoken about. While there are limits, with efficient code it's very much possible to do.
Near realtime interfaces where an external application polls salesforce say at 5min intervals.
DodiDodi

Look into Http callouts, wsdl2Apex, Rest API are some methods to enable realtime integration

Dodi

TracMikeLTracMikeL

1. Outbound Messaging is definately an option.

2. Triggers are not, the volume of data change is to high even with efficient code and @future will run out.

3. Unfortuantely polling every 5 minutes is not real time integration.

TracMikeLTracMikeL

yes I understand Http Callouts, wsdl2apex and rest api.

BUT how do I make the callout when a record is saved? There is no way to override the save button.

If I make the callout in a trigger is has to be @future, now governor limit is a problem.

SuperfellSuperfell

If you're expecting high volumnes, then workflow outbound messaging is really the only way to go.

TracMikeLTracMikeL

I assume their is no daily limit for outbound messaging?

SuperfellSuperfell

No.