function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
pedrosampaiopedrosampaio 

You have uncommitted work pending. Please commit or rollback before calling out

"(...) the only workaround is an ugly hack where you have to implement an Apex web service method that does the dml operations you wish to commit. Then invoke that web service method from within your Apex code that makes the HTTP callout."

Can anyone give some sample code on how to implement an Apex web service method that can be called
from within your Apex code? 

Thanks.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
pedrosampaiopedrosampaio

I have found a workaround to execute the webservice callout after inserting an object.

I execute an action to insert my object and then execute the webservice callout on the oncomplete event of a commandButton. Then, I return a PageReference giving the user immediate feedback.

If the webservice callout returns any error, I will delete object and returning the user back to the same page.

See bellow:

@VisualforcePage

<apex:actionFunction name="executeWS" action="{!executeWS}"></apex:actionFunction>

<apex:commandButton value="Save" action="{!save}" oncomplete="executeWS()" />

@Controller

public PageReference save() {

insert obj;

}

public PageReference executeWS(){

obj = [SELECT ...];

try{

callout ws;

} catch(System.Exception ex){

delete obj;

ApexPages.addMessages(e);

return null;

}

return new PageReference('/' + id);

}

Please, comment on this solution and what maybe the disadvantages of using it.

Note: using cookies to store obj id

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/apexcode/Content/apex_classes_sites_cookie.htm

All Answers

kiranmutturukiranmutturu

place @future annotation to the webservice method and try ....

pedrosampaiopedrosampaio

Cannot do that because I need a response from the webservice to decide if I have to rollback the insert.

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

I'm not aware of any way to call a Salesforce webservice method from Apex code - I thought the platform stopped this.

You could call out to an external webservice that in turn executes a Salesforce web service, or you can invoke apex webservice methods from Javascript via the Ajax toolkit.

Ritesh AswaneyRitesh Aswaney

I recently encountered this problem. Basically you cant initiate DML Operations and then make a call out.

To get around this, invoke a future method, which does the web service call out for you, and then perform your DML operations after the callout has completed.

http://boards.developerforce.com/t5/Apex-Code-Development/You-have-uncommitted-work-pending-Please-commit-or-rollback/td-p/65803

eg :

@Future(callout=true)
  public static void doRegister_Asynch(){

Account[] accts = [Select ....];

//Make webservice callout

for(Account acct : accts){

acc.Response_status__c = ....// set attributes to update

update accts; 

}

pedrosampaiopedrosampaio

I have found a workaround to execute the webservice callout after inserting an object.

I execute an action to insert my object and then execute the webservice callout on the oncomplete event of a commandButton. Then, I return a PageReference giving the user immediate feedback.

If the webservice callout returns any error, I will delete object and returning the user back to the same page.

See bellow:

@VisualforcePage

<apex:actionFunction name="executeWS" action="{!executeWS}"></apex:actionFunction>

<apex:commandButton value="Save" action="{!save}" oncomplete="executeWS()" />

@Controller

public PageReference save() {

insert obj;

}

public PageReference executeWS(){

obj = [SELECT ...];

try{

callout ws;

} catch(System.Exception ex){

delete obj;

ApexPages.addMessages(e);

return null;

}

return new PageReference('/' + id);

}

Please, comment on this solution and what maybe the disadvantages of using it.

Note: using cookies to store obj id

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/apexcode/Content/apex_classes_sites_cookie.htm

This was selected as the best answer