function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
kevoharakevohara 

Unit Tests for Date/Time Dependent Apex

I am sort of struggling to figure out what best practices are for testing time and date dependent apex.

Example:

I have an apex class that generates something like customer statements.  The class sets a date variable using System.today() and figures out the month.  Based on the month, it responds differently.  In December, for example, it calculates a year end summary but does not calculate this any other month of the year.

When writing unit tests, I need to be able to test every month to make sure it's repsonding correctly.

How have others addressed this?  I could have a testMode Boolean variable that I could set to tell the class to use the System date (testMode = false) or a supplied date in another variable (testMode = true).  

Is this considered best practices?

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

You wouldn't need to have a boolean, as Apex now provides the Test.isRunningTest() method.

This is exactly how I test this sort of code in Apex and always did in Java before I switched to Salesforce.    Essentially its allowing dependency injection when running in test mode, which IMHO is the cleanest way to do it.