function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JarrettKJarrettK 

What is the best way to query an object if you are not sure there will be results

I would like to know the best practices for querying data on an object if you do not know if any rows will be returned.

For example:

List<CustomObject__c> myObj = [select Id from CustomObject__c where customField__c = '1234' limit 10];

This may not return any results and will error out.

However assigning the data to an array does not care if there are zero results

CustomObject__c[] myArray = [select Id from CustomObject__c where customField__c = '1234' limit 10]; 

But I really want my data reutned in object format for DML and other benefits, what is the best way of converting an array to object notation?  

I am sure I am missing something really stupid, please advise.

Thanks!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Shashikant SharmaShashikant Sharma

List<CustomObject__c> myObj = [select Id from CustomObject__c where customField__c = '1234' limit 10];

This will also do not give you any error you can use it. If no record return then list will be empty, you can check myObj.isEmpty or myObj.size() > 0 before using it.

The error that you are concerned about : List has no rows for assignment to SObject

will come only when you assign it to sObject directly and no result are returned.

CustomObject__c  myObj =  [select Id from CustomObject__c where customField__c = '1234' limit  1];

So go ahead with this

No issues in this .

All Answers

Shashikant SharmaShashikant Sharma

This will also do not give you any error you can use it. If no record return then list will be empty, you can check myObj.isEmpty or myObj.size() > 0 before using it.

The error that you are concerned about : List has no rows for assignment to SObject

will come only when you assign it to sObject directly and no result are returned.

CustomObject__c  myObj =  [select Id from CustomObject__c where customField__c = '1234' limit  1];

So go ahead with this

No issues in this .

This was selected as the best answer
JarrettKJarrettK

Thank you for clerifying, it understand now.