function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
trick012trick012 

About connectivity issue of different objects

I have case objject and another object which is child of the case object.On this child object I have picklist known as stages and one by one I have to go through those stages and I have to record the number of days I have stayed in a particular stage ,now I have to show  days in another object which is a also a child object of the case object.But both of these cases have no direct relation to each other.

Will this kind of functionality work ,Plesase suggests me the way

Or

The object on which I am showing number of days has to be the master of the child object which is related to the case object

Please help

trick012   

Shashikant SharmaShashikant Sharma

One thing about master detail relationship is that if you make any object as child (detail) of any other object it can not become master of any other. So if you say "I have to show  days in another object which is a also a child object of the case object" if it is child and has a lookup to case then its ok you can make it master of object having stage picklist  , but if it is master detail then you can not make it master of object having stage picklist.

To me yuor issue loks that can be fixed easily just provide relationship more clearly with type of relationship , lookup or master detail.

trick012trick012

Thanks shashikant,

Let me explain you what I am trying to accomplish.As per me I have a complicated task. I have case object then I have c1 object which has a lookup relationship to the case object .Now I have phase picklikst with around 12 values in it .As I move from one value to another.I am capturing the phase in date and phase out date as well as the number of days I stayed in a particular phase and the counter showing how many times I went back to different values in the phase picklist.

Now C1 object has this phase picklist and phase in ,phase out and number of days and counter field  as well.

Now What Shall I do as I have some other field which are on another ,for example,named  new object .What kind of relationship do I need a new object to have with C1 so that I can show values on the new object.

Or Can I still have C1 and New Object linked directly to case and still be able to show values from C1 onto the new object or

I need to have C1 and New object to have some replationship between them to accomplish.

In the nutshell,If C1 and new object have no direct relationship .Can I show C1 object values on the object named  new object.?  Will I be able to use trigger which encompasses not only C1 but also new object as I have to show some values on the new object.

Please help me

Thanks,

Trick012

Shashikant SharmaShashikant Sharma

Let me first try to share my understanding

Case - Object C1 ( which has lookup tp Case) 

1)Now if you have New Object which has relationship with Case but no direct relationship to C1, yes you can copy information from C1 to new object using trigger.

You have to write trigger on C1 object , Your steps in trigger would be

A) Get related case

B) Get New Object records for case this case, update this record based on the the C1 Object

2) If you have direct relationship with C1 and New Object  then you can copy information using formula field.

You can opt for any solution 1 or 2 based on your relationship you set in C1 and New Object , direct or indirect