function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
skdevskdev 

Storing data more than 5 MB

I would like to store more than 5 MB files in salesforce, CRM content lets us save documents/files upto 38MB using the API.

i found this link http://developer.force.com/cookbook/recipe/publishing-documents-into-a-salesforce-crm-content-public-workspace-and-setting-tags

i am new to this can anyone let me know how i could go ahead with this.

Cory CowgillCory Cowgill

skdev,

There are several places where files can be stored in Salesforce, which can be confusing to new users. There are really 3 basic ways:

1. You can store files as Attachments on records in Salesforce. This has a limitation of 5MB, is linked to a record, and cannot have additional metadata on it.

2. You can store files as Documents in Salesforce. This has a limiation of 10MB and is not linked directly to records,  but you can put documents in folders. You cannot link these documents to records, but you can store them in folders. You cannot add metadata to documents.

3. You can store files as Content in Salesforce if you have Salesforce Content enabled. The limit is much higher, like 38MB. You can use Metadata, advanced search functionality,  and other nice features. I think you can link document to a record also through the metadata, but you'd need to confirm.

All of these have types of file storage in Salesforce have API Access, meaning you can access them via SOQL, use them in VF Pages, Update values on Triggers, etc.

Checkout the Developer Documentation and help in your Salesforce org for the details.

skdevskdev

Can you let me know how i can use the API to upload the files and documents, i tried via visual force page and i can upload upto 10 MB, not sure how to use the API .... can we use the API within the Visual force page and still be able to upload uto 38 MB?