function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MellowYellowMellowYellow 

Accessing sObject Fields Through Relationships

I am trying to create a new opportunity object and populate some fields from related objects.  I am having trouble getting the value of a custom field on the Account Object.  Example;

for(Contract c:Trigger.new){

Opportunity newopp = new Opportuity(
   Sales_Rep__c    = c.Sales_Mgr__c 

// Where Sales_Mgr__c  resides in the Account object

New Opportunity.accountId is populated from contract.accountID and should provide a reference point to get the Sales_Mgr__c from Account object.

I have tried [Select Sales_Mgr__c From Account where accountId = : newopp.accountId Limit 1]  without success

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
MellowYellowMellowYellow

Here is what finally worked to get the user name from User via the Account (when only having a Contract as the reference);

Sales_rep__c = [Select sales_mgr__r.Name From Account Where id = :c.accountId ].sales_mgr__r.Name

Thanks to all for the suggestions

All Answers

spraetzspraetz

Data from related records is not populated in Trigger.new.  You will need to perform a query to retrieve it.

It looks like you attempted that but without success.  Can you describe what happens when you try that?

MellowYellowMellowYellow

Thanks for your reply.   Here's what I have tried so far;

Sales_Rep__c = [select Sales_Mgr__c from account where id = :c.accountId].Name,   // this compiles, but returns a blank value

Sales_Rep__c = [select Sales_Mgr__c from account where id = :c.accountId]   // This throws a compile error:   Invalid initial expression type for field Opportunity.Sales_Rep__c, expecting: String

spraetzspraetz

Sales_Rep__c = [select Sales_Mgr__c, NAME from account where id = :c.accountId].Name,   // this compiles, but returns a blank value

You need to select the name field in order for it to be populated.

MellowYellowMellowYellow

Getting closer...  Adding , NAME as you suggested is returning the account name, not the sales_mgr__c name.  If I try this it returns the userId for the Sales_Mgr__c;

Sales_Rep__c = [select Sales_Mgr__c, NAME from account where id = :c.accountId].Sales_Mgr__c

Sales_Mgr_c__c is a field type custom on the Account object  with relationship Sales_Mgr__r that references the User object.

Thanks for your help

spraetzspraetz

Opportunity.Sales_Rep__c = [SELECT Sales_Mgr__r. = [select Sales_Mgr__c from account where id = :c.accountId].Sales_Mgr__c

Assuming Sales_Rep__c and Sales_Mgr__c are both lookups to the user object, that should work.

However, if you're doing that query in a for loop, you're setting yourself up to hit a governor limit exception.

You should not be doing queries in a for-loop and should isntead do one query, move the data into data structures that make sense, and access the data within the for-loop.  Let me know if you'd like an example of that.

MellowYellowMellowYellow

Sales_Rep__c is type picklist(custom) and does not reference the User object.  I am trying to populate it with a value from Sales_Mgr__C which is type Reference (refers to User object).

Thanks again

spraetzspraetz

So I assume Sales_Rep__c is a picklist that contains the name (in format FirstName + ' ' + LastName) of the sales rep?  and you want to populate that picklist automatically with the first and last name of the Sales_Mgr__c that you have chosen on the same record?

Sorry if I'm still not getting the use case.  This is a tricky one =)

MellowYellowMellowYellow

Yes - you've described it very well.  I'm auto-creating an opportunity from a contract.  I use the accountID from contract to reference the account.  Now I am trying to populate a custom picklist (Sales_rep__c) on the opportunity with a user First and Last name from the acount.Sales_Mgr__c which is a reference to the user object.

Thanks for your patience on this one!

MellowYellowMellowYellow

Here is what finally worked to get the user name from User via the Account (when only having a Contract as the reference);

Sales_rep__c = [Select sales_mgr__r.Name From Account Where id = :c.accountId ].sales_mgr__r.Name

Thanks to all for the suggestions

This was selected as the best answer