function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
VonveeVonvee 

Eclipse, Java, JDK, version question:

Admitting I'm not 100% in tune with Eclipse's life/software cycle -- regarding the Force.com IDE install:  I've been tasked to do an install on a few machine/VMs, all currently with either NO version of JavaVM, or 1.5.stoneAge versions. No current Eclipse versions installed either. 

Any thoughts if I should do the whole JSE/JDK 7 download & install, or is it better for now to stick with the Java 6 latest + the Force.com IDE install?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Yes - the standalone installs a version of eclipse with the force.com plugins already present.  You can also install a version of eclipse and then install the plugins yourself via the updates functionality in eclipse. The standalone is a quicker option, but it wouldn't be suitable if you needed a particular eclipse setup (java ee, for example).

All Answers

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

I've found that the Force.com IDE and java 1.7 don't play nicely together - low level java errors when attempting to retrieve the metadata components.  My advice would be to stick with 1.6 latest.

WRT eclipse, if this is for Force.com development only, I'd go with the standalone rather than pulling down eclipse and then installing the IDE as a plugin, as its quicker!

VonveeVonvee

Thanks for the comment re: version 7.  Given it's "newness", my gut was that it would be something similar to what you described.

Can you clarify your last comment re: I'd go with the standalone rather than.. <-- you're referring to the two install package choices correct?  Doesn't the standalone basically install a particular version of Eclipse?     

If an additional datapoint helps the discussion; we currently do not do other development in Eclipse, nor do I forsee that changing.  

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Yes - the standalone installs a version of eclipse with the force.com plugins already present.  You can also install a version of eclipse and then install the plugins yourself via the updates functionality in eclipse. The standalone is a quicker option, but it wouldn't be suitable if you needed a particular eclipse setup (java ee, for example).

This was selected as the best answer
Marc C.Marc C.

I agree - I am seeing that the login to my org just fails if I use JDK 1.7. My question would be: how do I tell Eclipse (and the Force.com IDE) which version to use? I have 1.6 and 1.7 on my PC and 1.6 is the one set in the PATH and in the Eclipse preferences. Still, in the force.com IDE .log file I see:

eclipse.buildId=M20100909-0800
java.version=1.7.0_07
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation