function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
OssieOssie 

Need Help with Triggers

Hi All,

My trigger was working fine before, but now that i have changed the Serial_Number_New__c field from data type text to a lookup, the trigger wont work.  No error message is shown when i save the trigger.  But when i try creating a case nothing happens.

Please help!!!

trigger UpdateWarranty on Case (before insert, before update) {   

for(Case c : Trigger.new){
        If(c.RecordTypeId == '012D0000000AoAZ'){
            String cid = c.Serial_Number_New__c;
            List<Warranty__c> Serials = [SELECT Engine_Number__c, Model_Number__c FROM Warranty__c WHERE      Name = :cid];
            c.Engine_s_n__c = Serials.get(0).Engine_Number__c;
            c.Model_Number__c = Serials.get(0).Model_Number__c;

}
        }
}

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
ReidCReidC

If you changed the field type from text to a lookup

This line:

Now sets "cid" to a ID datatype.

And this line

List<Warranty__c> Serials = [SELECT Engine_Number__c, Model_Number__c FROM Warranty__c WHERE      Name = :cid];

Attempts to find that ID in a name field.

Is that what you intended?  Normally I would expect to say

Warranty__c myWarranty = [SELECT Id, Engine_Number__c, Model_Number__c FROM Warranty__c WHERE      Id = :cid];

Since you are querying by a known good ID field, you can assign to a single sobject instead of a list.

HTH

All Answers

ReidCReidC

If you changed the field type from text to a lookup

This line:

Now sets "cid" to a ID datatype.

And this line

Attempts to find that ID in a name field.

Is that what you intended?  Normally I would expect to say

Warranty__c myWarranty = [SELECT Id, Engine_Number__c, Model_Number__c FROM Warranty__c WHERE      Id = :cid];

Since you are querying by a known good ID field, you can assign to a single sobject instead of a list.

HTH

This was selected as the best answer
OssieOssie

Your a legend!!!

That worked perefectly, i didnt realise that the data type had been set to ID for cid.  Ahhhh Crazy!!!

I still got lots to learn...

Thank you very much. 

VarunSforceVarunSforce

Few observations:

a) Serial_Number_New__c is Id field ( because it is lookup) so in select query use  " where id = :cid" not the Name.

b) Do not use select query in main loop, prepare map before the main loop and use it within loop.

This think better solution is :

If you have lookup ref then you can use formula fields for "Engine_s_n__c " and "Model_Number__c" instead using trigger.

OssieOssie

Thank you for the two pointers.

The 1) point i have already incorporated into my code.  However, can you please explain how do i use Map.  I'm still fairly new to Apex coding and so would appreciate any help.  

VarunSforceVarunSforce

Before thinking about MAP:

Why dont you use formula fields; this will avoid trigger or coding,

This think better solution is :

If you have lookup ref then you can use formula fields for "Engine_s_n__c " and "Model_Number__c" instead using trigger.

ReidCReidC

So Varun's idea is to let a formula field do the work for you instead of a trigger.

Since you already have the lookup to the warranty on the record, could make a formula field with a value of something like

warranty__r.Engine_s_n__c

And another with

warranty__r.Model_Number__c

Right?

VarunSforceVarunSforce

Yes

OssieOssie

Guys,

The problem with formula's is that the field only appears once the save button is selected.  Until than you cant see the Model_Number__c etc fields.

This is why i would prefer to use the trigger.