function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Thai HuynhThai Huynh 

Customizing Article Edit page

I wanted to know if there's a way to perhaps customizing the knowledge base article create/update view. For instance, we want to add more functionlities to the rich text editor. In addition, we want to show a dropdown of categories/products from our custom object instead of using data category.

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

My experience of this is that its impossible to customize, presumably because it is a custom page in its own right if you look at the URL.  As a bonus, you can't replace it with your own page either.

Thai HuynhThai Huynh

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. We're currently facing a major issue with SF where we have a custom object that contains products information. We want to be able to associate an article with 1 of the product in this custom object. I haven't been working with SF all that long but it appears as if you can only do it through data category. Have you done anything like this where u need to map to a custom object vs data category? We want to avoid replicating all of our products to a data category and use it as a data mapping between articles and products.

Thai

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

When we've had to customise article behaviour before, we've ended up with the following clunky mechanism:

We train the end users to embed the additional information in the article itself, inside text tags - e.g. [ObjectRef=001247167289305323].

Then we write a custom Visualforce page to display the article, where the controller parses the content to locate these tags and add the required behaviour.

Its quite a compromise though, and IMHO not the greatest user experience.  I sometimes think we'd be better off creating our own knowledgebase that we can customize properly.