function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Kannan RamasamyKannan Ramasamy 

How to update Data for existing records if its more than 100,000

Hi

we were integrating salesforce entity  with our application using Outbound Message. Now we have changed this approach by using HttpCallout and we have created three flag variables  in salesforce to shows the status of integration whether its success or Failure.

After move  these changes into production, the newly created records will have proper status in the flag variable. But for old records we need  to update explicitly by using Demand Tool or any other tool. Old records count  is more than 100,000. Its bit hard update by using Tool. Is there any other way update all record by using query  like DB script? or  please guide the easiest way to handle this problem.

Alex.AcostaAlex.Acosta

have you tried checking to see if you can fire off a batchable class?

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/apexcode/Content/apex_batch_interface.htm

Kannan RamasamyKannan Ramasamy

I think you misunderstood my question. Once i move the new changes into production. i want  to update  all existing records with proper status value. If we use  BatchApex  we are not sure about when it will complete. So in  middle of process if any user try to update existing record it will get failed.

For example if we enchance J2EE application  with some DB changes. while moving that changes into production we will run data migration script to update the existing  record like that is there any approach in Salesforce?

Alex.AcostaAlex.Acosta

Only thing I can say is to do this after hours so users can't interact with it records as they are being processed. 100k records will not take that long.

crop1645crop1645

or Apex Data Loader which can do 100,000 records in well under 1 hour