function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
The New Guy.ax1225The New Guy.ax1225 

Case Assignment \ Email Notification via Trigger

I have 4 fields in the account object that disclose the following:

Product: (multi-select pick list) which correlates to a product pick list in the case object

POD: This is a group that is assigned to the account. There is a queue created for each "POD"

Member1: User lookup that is a member of the POD

Member2: User lookup that is a member of the POD

I would like to build a system that when a case is created and based on the account and product that's selected a decision will be made to assign to the correct queue based on the POD and product disclosed within the account. Also, in addition to the dynamic assignment rules, if the case is sev1  an email notification is sent to the members of the POD. I believe a trigger is the route to take instead of a workflow rule because of the scale. I'm looking at 20+ PODS with hundreds of account \ product combinations that will require case assignments to the queues. Also these combinations could change on a regular basis.

I have experience building workflow rules but no experience with APEX triggers. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

blacknredblacknred

why do you want to do that in a trigger? The standard Case Assignment Rules should work ok for you.

I believe the case assignment rules will need to be configured for every account statically to the appropriate queue. As well as to each user disclosed in the "Member" fields. I'm looking for one process that will make the decision based on the "POD" that's selected where the cases should be routed and who should get notified on sev 1 cases. The data in the fields should determine the direction of the assignment and notifications. Can case assignment rules determine this?

blacknredblacknred

Yes, you can setup de rules based on the fields in the Case, the Account, the Asset, et. or using a custom formula and assign them to a queue (probably, you need one for each POD). If you want, the queue members can get an email each time a new case arrives.

This makes it really easy to mantain if it changes frequently.

The only thing is that I'm not sure how the Member fields are involved in this.

But will the assignment rule have to disclose all the assigned accounts per pod in the logic? Also, is there a way to only email the queue members on sev1 cases?

blacknredblacknred

I think you should really need to give it a try by yourself to see it but no, you don't have to hardcode the accounts in there.

It's something like:

If

Account.POD = 'XXX'

then

assign to queue1

so any case that belongs to an account with POD = XXX will be assigned to queue1.

About the emails, no, you can't do that; so you will need to duplicate each rule. One filtering by sev1 and another one without that filter and then send emails only when the case goes down by the sev1 rule.