function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Siddharth Birari.ax1164Siddharth Birari.ax1164 

Runtime validation

Hello everyone...

This is my second post regarding Dynamic Record Creation.

Although now i am able to create a record of any object at runtime.

By any object i mean i've one method where i get the name of the existing object in string format, basis which i create the record.

Also i get the associated field names with corresponding values through say some parameters, i populate them and finally i create the record.

Till now everything is OK.

Now, the thing which i want is to apply validation rules on the records which i create at runtime.

But there is a catch. Validation rules have not been created on those object. I've the rules defined in string format.

Following example will make it clear..

1. String objName = 'Account'
  2. Stirng field1 = 'Name'                               //Account Field
  3. String field2 = 'Age'                                  //Account Field
  4. String validation = 'Age < 25';
  5. Sobject objSobjectInstance = Schema.getGlobalDescribe().get(objName).newSObject();
  6. objSobjectInstance.put(field1, 'Test');
  7. objSobjectInstance.put(field2, 20);
  8. insert objSobjectInstance;

Here in above code, the record will get created. But i want to apply validation rule (line 4) to be applied on Age.

Any idea, how can i do this?

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

It looks to me like you'll have to write your own rules parser/engine i.e. you'll need to be able to turn a string of 'age < 25' into field, operator, value triplets and evaluate them.  Its not too difficult to do if they are that simple, but can turn into quite a lot of code if you are allowing nesting.

Thanks Bob..

Actually same things are revolving in my mind..

Yes, it will be huge code, but keeping it apart,

m looking forward for parsing alogrithm itself.

coz i need to evaluate

if(age > 25)

i.e. (20 > 25)

by parsing it and evaluating it later, i need to have a boolean.

please do suggest any parsing algorithm if you are known to any.

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

The way I've done this in the past is to break it up into operand, operator, operand triplets and store in a tree.  That allows nesting, where operands can be a field, a literal value or another triplet.  The code to parse walks the tree and carries out the tests.  The chunky code is usually a huge if statement that determines the type of operator and executes the test.

Hi bob,

Thanks for your suggestions.

here one thing what i wonder about is tree. since apex doesn't support pointers, how would i create the tree?

one more challenge in front of me is, the expression to validate is purely string. any remedy on this?

Thanks in advance.

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

You'd have to create the tree yourself, through references to other class instances.  You'll need to break the string up in order to do this - one whitespace or brackets I would have thought.