function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
stollmeyerastollmeyera 

In need of feedback: Is this a good idea?

We currently integrate our Salesforce org with Eloqua, a marketing SAAS.  Eloqua is currently configured to grab updates from Leads and Contacts in our org when the last modified date is changed.  This is a pretty simple concept: If a user updates the email address in Salesforce, the Last Modified Date is changed and Eloqua is triggered to grab those new fields.  

My marketing team is requesting that Eloqua get triggered based off of the Last Activity Date instead of the Last Modifed Date.  Because this can't be done with the current build of Eloqua, the idea is to create a custom field on the Lead/Contact and, whenever a task is added to it, have this field change, thus updating the Last Modified date.  

Ultimately, I don't like this idea.  If we ever need to come back to the Last Modified Date, there is no data integrity.  However, I would really appreciate hearing others thoughts on this matter.  Any input is appreciated. 

craigmhcraigmh

I'm on your side, I like using LastModifiedDate better. I'd rather do slightly too much work, rather than hope that the system updates LastActivityDate correctly. The possibility that data crucial to your process is modified, and LastActivityDate isn't updated is too high for me to want to risk it. But that's just personal preference.

My company has something similar. We pull Accounts based on LastModifiedDate, and use the same strategy that you do. We simply take a MAX on LastModifiedDate of the existing records, and return all Accounts where the LastModifiedDate is greater than that value.