function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
_why the unlucky stiff_why the unlucky stiff 

Compare changed objects in After Update

Hello, I am fairly new to Apex.I need to create a list of accounts for which it's owner has changed in an after update trigger. Can anyone show a sample code if this is simple enough?

Also, what would you use to compare and filter, Trigger.new & Trigger.old OR Trigger.newMap & Trigger.OldMap? Also, how to then update this back to the account object? The documentation does not have an example on this and  reading it further confused me. Am I on the right track? This can't be that difficult, can it?

I took a stab at this below and this completely does not work.

public static void ownrChangeUpdate(List<Account> newAccs, List<Account> oldAccs){

List<Account> changedAccs;
		List<Account> updateAccs;
		Set<Id> UserId = new Set<Id>();

for (Integer i = 0; i < newAccs.size(); i++) {
			if (oldAccs[i].OwnerId != newAccs[i].OwnerId) {
				changedAccs.add(newAccs[i]);
			}
        }

for(Account a :changedAccs){ 
             UserId.add(a.OwnerId);
		}

Map<ID,User> Usermap= new Map<ID,User>([SELECT ID, Group__c, Branch__c from User where ID IN :UserId]) ;

For(Account Acc :changedAccs) { 
                    User thisUser = UserMap.get(Acc.OwnerId);
                If (thisUser != null) {

Acc.Group__c = thisUser.Group__c;
                    Acc.Branch__c = thisUser.Branch__c;
                    updateAccs.add(Acc);
            	}    

}	

if(!updateAccs.isEmpty()){
                update updateAccs;
            }

}

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
vishal@forcevishal@force

Hi,

For comparing the old and new values, Maps are always preferred because they are two-dimensional. In case of lists, I will have to iterate both the lists and compare their values while in Maps, I can do that directly by passing the Key (Account Id) in both old and new maps and check if the values have changed.

I haven't modified the whole code, but highlighting that part which will help you compare the values:

public static void ownrChangeUpdate(Map<Id, Account> newAccs, Map<Id, Account> oldAccs){
		// we are passing old map and new map instead of old list and new list

// iterating through the new accounts , comparing the values with old map and adding in the list if old map value is not equal to new map value.
                for (Account acc : newAccs.values()) { if (oldAccs.get(acc.Id).OwnerId != acc.OwnerId) { changedAccs.add(acc); }
        }

Let me know if you have any doubts :)

All Answers

vishal@forcevishal@force

Hi,

For comparing the old and new values, Maps are always preferred because they are two-dimensional. In case of lists, I will have to iterate both the lists and compare their values while in Maps, I can do that directly by passing the Key (Account Id) in both old and new maps and check if the values have changed.

I haven't modified the whole code, but highlighting that part which will help you compare the values:

public static void ownrChangeUpdate(Map<Id, Account> newAccs, Map<Id, Account> oldAccs){
		// we are passing old map and new map instead of old list and new list

// iterating through the new accounts , comparing the values with old map and adding in the list if old map value is not equal to new map value.
                for (Account acc : newAccs.values()) { if (oldAccs.get(acc.Id).OwnerId != acc.OwnerId) { changedAccs.add(acc); }
        }

Let me know if you have any doubts :)

This was selected as the best answer
_why the unlucky stiff_why the unlucky stiff

Thank You, good sir. I am grateful.While at it, one more question.

Why does Eclipse not 'autocomplete' after 'Trigger.new.____'. For e.g. I saw some examples that have Trigger.newMap.get(some Id).FieldName - When using eclipse, after the Trigger.newMap.___ it pretty much leaves you on your own...looks like you need to know intuitively what is a valid call after that or not. Why is that? Is there a particular place where all these calls and their valid arguments described? Am I missing something?