function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
NielsenPeterNielsenPeter 

Refresh record button???

Is there a easier way to create a "Refresh" button on a record, without useing visualforce or apex?

Basically it will avoid the use of someone having to click the edit button and then saving it, in order to refresh the formula fields.

There should be some sort of URL hack to have it open the file then save it with oone click of the button.

thanks

Pete

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
NielsenPeterNielsenPeter

Actually I found a url that will refresh the record:

https://cs13.salesforce.com/{!Opportunity.Id}/e?save=1&retURL=%2F{!Opportunity.Id}

All Answers

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Can you not just click the browser refresh button, failing that a custom button that simply opens the current record id?  Or is there a more complex requirement I'm missing here? 

NielsenPeterNielsenPeter

Refreshing the browser page wont update the fields in the record.

for example if there is a formula on the opportunity object to grab the email address on a lookup contact, on a related object(contacts). well if that email has been updated/changed on the contact page. Then on the opportuntiy page it will still show the old email, until the record has been modified.

Trying to avoid someone having to just go in and click the edit button and then save in order to make sure all the formula fields are current. I one-click button that would refresh the record would be perfect if I can get something in place.

thanks

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

That sounds like you have workflow/trigger field updates rather than formula fields - formulas are populated when they are retrieved from the database.  Workflow/triggers fire when the record is updated.

You could probably do something with the ajax toolkit and a custom button but that's not something I've done myself.

NielsenPeterNielsenPeter

Ok thanks for the help with that. There are formula fields, but they just dont change until the record has been touched, if the data they are grabbing has been changed. Be nice if they did update without having to touch the record.

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

The other option is something like writing a trigger on the contact so that it updates the related opportunity - although that's a bit of a guess based on what you have said so far.

NielsenPeterNielsenPeter

Yes a trigger would be an option. I was hoping to try to see if there was another approach.

thanks

NielsenPeterNielsenPeter

Actually I found a url that will refresh the record:

https://cs13.salesforce.com/{!Opportunity.Id}/e?save=1&retURL=%2F{!Opportunity.Id}

This was selected as the best answer
Jeff BloomerJeff Bloomer

This URL doesn't quite work for me.  When I tried to use it I got the following error: The page you submitted was invalid for your session. Please click Save again to confirm your change.

What would really be helpful is if there was a cheat sheet or repository out there that had a list of all the URL commands we can use and what the elements mean, etc.  If anyone knows of such a tool, please share the wealth.  Thanks!