function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
NOTLSimpsonNOTLSimpson 

New to Apex -- need help with object references

I am writing Apex triggers, and attempting to grab information from existing objects. The challenge is in trying to obtain the information.

Two questions:

1) Accounts own Opportunities. Opportunities own a custom object called Revenue__c. Revenue needs to have a lookup relationship with Account, so that the Revenue related list will appear on the Account detail page. I've written a trigger to auto-populate the Account__c lookup field on a new revenue object when the revenue object is being saved, but I'm not getting the right phrasing to grab the Acount id.
 I've tried:

List<Revenue__c> existingRev= [SELECT ID, Opportunity__c, Account__c FROM Revenue__c];
    list<Revenue__c> listrev = new list<Revenue__c>();
            for( Revenue__c rev1 : existingRev)
            {
                rev1.Account__c = rev1.Opportunity__r.AccountId ;
                listrev.add(rev1);
            }
        update listrev;

But the assignment line isn't correct. Is this how you'd reference an object through another object?

2) In trying to grab data from a Text field and save it in the Phone field of the Contact, I'm getting Null stored there instead. Do I have to do something in order to get the text info to be accepted as a phone number?

Thanks.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
cropzimcropzim

NOTLSimpson:

Assuming your trigger is on Revenue__c -- the Trigger context will only be aware of Revenue__c fields, not any parent Opportunity fields.  As such you need to fetch in a SOQL statement:

Set<ID> oIdSet = new Set<ID>();

for (Revenue__c rev: Trigger.new)

oIdSet.add(rev.opportunity__c);

Map<ID,Opportunity> oIdToOpportunityMap = new Map<ID,Opportunity> ([Select id, accountId from Opportunity where id IN: oIdSet]);

then, you'll need:

rev.account__c = oIdToOpportunityMap.get(rev.opportunity__c);

and that's it; if this is in a before update/before insert trigger -- The Trigger context update of rev.account__c will be included in the database update. No update DML required

Please review SFDC APEX documentation on bulk trigger idioms and trigger contexts - all triggers should be written to handle a list of SObjects, never just one

All Answers

cropzimcropzim

NOTLSimpson:

Assuming your trigger is on Revenue__c -- the Trigger context will only be aware of Revenue__c fields, not any parent Opportunity fields.  As such you need to fetch in a SOQL statement:

Set<ID> oIdSet = new Set<ID>();

oIdSet.add(rev.opportunity__c);

Map<ID,Opportunity> oIdToOpportunityMap = new Map<ID,Opportunity> ([Select id, accountId from Opportunity where id IN: oIdSet]);

then, you'll need:

rev.account__c = oIdToOpportunityMap.get(rev.opportunity__c);

and that's it; if this is in a before update/before insert trigger -- The Trigger context update of rev.account__c will be included in the database update. No update DML required

Please review SFDC APEX documentation on bulk trigger idioms and trigger contexts - all triggers should be written to handle a list of SObjects, never just one

This was selected as the best answer
NOTLSimpsonNOTLSimpson

Thank you!