function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ImpactMGImpactMG 

Find out Account's/Contact's new Owner in a Trigger after Lead Conversion

Hi,

Is it possible to get to know the new Owner of the new created Objects Account/Contact in a trigger while a lead is being converted?

In the After/Before Insert Trigger of Account/Contact the OwnerID is set to the Owner of the Lead.

In After/Before Update Trigger of Lead, if I try to query Accounts/Contacts OwnerID (Using [SELECT OwnerID from Account where ID=:ConvertedAccountID]), I still get the ID of the user that owns the Lead, not the new User.

The After/Before Update Trigger of Account/Contact is NOT executed.

Any Ideas/Help?

JeffStevensJeffStevens

Have you tried this?

trigger.old[0].OwnerId?

(ie Id oldOwnerId = trigger.old[0].OwnerId;)

ImpactMGImpactMG

thank you JeffStevens, 

In lead conversion the Lead itself doesn't change the Owner - only the new created Account/Contact are assigned to the new owner. I'm looking for the new owner, not the old one.

Anup JadhavAnup Jadhav

Hi there,

Lead conversion is a special process, and according to the Salesforce docs.

If you have a trigger set to fire when new records are created, the trigger temporarily assigns a system user as the owner of the created records. After the trigger finishes, the owner is set to the lead owner.

I think this happens even whe you explicitly specify a new owner during the convert process.

More juicy details here: http://eu1.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/leads_convert.htm

Regards,

Anup

ImpactMGImpactMG

successforce,

I tried it, and in my case the Owner of Account/Contact in the After/Before Insert trigger was the current User (owner of the Lead - the system administrator). NO After/Before Update trigger is called :(

So salesforce changes the owner without calling Triggers (even though the Setting "Enforce Validation and Triggers from Lead Convert" is enabled)

How can I find out the new Owner? I can't imagine it's not possible ....

Anup JadhavAnup Jadhav

why do you think Update trigger should be called? Isn't this an insert process?

- Anup

ImpactMGImpactMG

OwnerID is being updated AFTER the Insert operation.The Account is inserted with another OwnerID. In the Salesforce database the Account is stored with the new OwnerID

For a developer to be able to react to this change, an update trigger should be called ...

Anup JadhavAnup Jadhav

According to this only Apex before triggers are fired.

http://eu1.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/customize_leadsettings.htm#ApexLeadConvertPref

Regards,

Anup

ImpactMGImpactMG

successforce,

thank you. Unfortunately my apex before Update trigger doesn't fire at all. Perhaps it fires if there are any workflows assigned.

The question remains: how can I access the new (destination) ownerid of Account/Contact in a trigger ?

JeffStevensJeffStevens

okay - what about puttting the trigger on the Account, in an after update?

Then you can check for any matching Leads, (ConvertedAccountId) and the IsConverted field.

ImpactMGImpactMG

ImpactMG wrote:The After/Before Update Trigger of Account/Contact is NOT executed.

The Order of Execution is:

* OnBeforeInsert of Account (Lead was not changed yet)

* OnAfterInsert of Account (Lead was not changed yet)

* OnBeforeInsert/OnAfterInsert of Contact and Opportunity (Lead was not changed yet)

* OnBeforeUpdate of Lead (Select OwnerID from account where id=:Lead.ConvertedAccountID returns the OLD OwnerID)

Warren WiseWarren Wise
ImpactMG, were you able to resolve this situation?
ImpactMGImpactMG
Warren Wise,
unfortunately not.
This does not work for new Accounts/Contacts. It does work for existing Accounts/Contacts, though (in case the lead is converted to an existing Account/Contact).