function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SabrentSabrent 

Help with Script

I want to write a one time script to populate a new field on old records.

Since this is a new field it will get populated going further, however i don't want the field blank for old records hence this ine time script.

can someone please correct my code? 

//get all records that has value in startDate and endDate but no value in numberofdays

List<Custom_Object_c> sec = [SELECT Id,startDate,endDate,numberofdays from Custom_Object_c WHERE startDate !=null && endDate !=null && numberofdays==null)

//Loop through the list and update the numberofdays field

for (Custom_Object_c s: sec){

datetime t = sec.startDate;
    date d = Date.newInstance(t.year(),t.month(),t.day());
    datetime tt = sec.endDate;
    date dd = Date.newInstance(t.year(),t.month(),t.day());

integer sec.numberofdays = startDate.daysBetween(endDate);

update sec;

}

}   

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
cmlcml

you are getting this error because you are using list reference instead of SObject reference within for loop. Pleae refer my above comment. I have mentioned that.

Thanks

Chandra

All Answers

colemabcolemab

Why are you calculating this in a trigger?  Why not use a formula field to calculate it - that way all records are always up to date - even the old ones.

SabrentSabrent

Because I need the numberofdays which is business days only and that too in GMT.

Formula can't handle that.

colemabcolemab

Assuming your business days are weekdays, it looks like formulas can calculate the number of week days.  Please see this and this.

SabrentSabrent

I think i am on the right track with this but getting an error,

Initial term of field expression must be a concrete SObject: LIST<Custom_Object__c>

List<Custom_Object__c> sList = new List<Custom_Object__c>

List<Custom_Object__c> sec = [SELECT Id,startDate,endDate,numberofdays from Custom_Object__c WHERE startDate !=null AND endDate !=null AND numberofdays = null)
for(Custom_Object__c s: sec){

Date cd = sec.startDate__c.dateGmt(); //  this is where the error is
    Date ad = sec.endDate__c.dateGMT();
    sec.numberofdays__c = BusinessDays.getDiffBusinessDays(ad, cd);    
    sList.add(sec);

}
    update sList;

cmlcml

The biggest problem with your code is you have DML statement within a for loop. Put your dml statement outside loop.

Second one could be typing mistake. Your second date instance i believe should use tt dateTime. Also you need to use 's.startDate' , 's.endDate' , 's.numberofdays' instead of 'sec.startDate' ,'sec.endDate' ,'sec.numberofdays' respectively within loop.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Chandra

Blog: Apex on Force.com - An Object Oriented Approach

cmlcml

you are getting this error because you are using list reference instead of SObject reference within for loop. Pleae refer my above comment. I have mentioned that.

Thanks

Chandra

This was selected as the best answer
SabrentSabrent

Thanks for your reply.  Yes both were typos DML inside for loop and t instead of tt.

I will try s.startdate

SabrentSabrent

@cml, thanks that worked.

List<Custom_Object__c> sList = new List<Custom_Object__c>

List<Custom_Object__c> sec = [SELECT Id,startDate,endDate,numberofdays from Custom_Object__c WHERE startDate !=null AND endDate !=null AND numberofdays = null)
for(Custom_Object__c s: sec){

Date cd = s.startDate__c.dateGmt();
    Date ad = s.endDate__c.dateGMT();
    s.numberofdays__c = BusinessDays.getDiffBusinessDays(ad, cd);    
    sList.add(s);

}
    update sList;

SabrentSabrent

@colemab

Thanks for your response.

Formula will calculate the business days but as mentioned I want the days according to GMT that's the reason why i am doing it programatically.