function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Santosh SSantosh S 

to track the Click on the Link inside Email

Using 'Mass Email Lead' option for sending Email to particular Lead

Need help to track the click on the link (inside the email) by the Email receiver (only the count of Click on the link to be tracked)

Please Help

Warm Regards

Best Answer chosen by Santosh S
LVSLVS

Okay, I thought the requirement was slightly different. However, the solution is more or less the same. I was not suggesting a VF email template but just a VF page

Santhosh wants to track the clicks to the link in the email. The link is to a website so any tracking from the web server is not available in SF. Lets modify my suggestion as given here below:

1. Enable sites
  2. Build a custom VF page with a custom controller and expose it to Sites
  3. In the controller's constructor, add logic to add number of clicks
  4. In the page's action method, redirect the user to the original website he intended to visist (Warning: if its HTTPS redirection, there might be some certificate concens)
  5. In the email you're sending out, provide the Sites URL to the VF page you built in step 2

Hope this makes sense now?

~LVS

All Answers

sfdcsushilsfdcsushil

What kind of link you are sending in email Is it some application?

Santosh SSantosh S
Nope, it will link to a website
sfdcsushilsfdcsushil

As per my understanding, you can do tracking in the website that you are opening as you do not have any control on the email that you have sent from salesforce.

Santosh SSantosh S
Thanks Sushil, Salesforce do inform whether the user has opened the email or whether the email has bounced I need to track further, whether the user has clicked on the link inside the email or not Regards,
LVSLVS

Hi Santosh,

You need to have Sites enabled for this. Create a VF page which renders only an image - something like a footer or company letterpad. When the user reads the email, he sends a request to Salesforce to view this image. In the constructor of the controller for the visualforce page, you can perform logic you need to do when an email is read.

Additionally, you can track individual emails by adding a unique code as an URL parameter etc.

This is the standard way of getting client information via emails being read. The only difference in Salesforce is we need to use Sites to make the URL publicly accessible. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

~LVS

sfdcsushilsfdcsushil

Hi,

You are suggesting to create one vf email template with an image? But where does sites come into picture?

Santosh wants to track the clicking of link of some other application(which is not related to salesforce sites)?

Can you please put some more light on this -  how will this be implemented.

Thanks.

LVSLVS

Okay, I thought the requirement was slightly different. However, the solution is more or less the same. I was not suggesting a VF email template but just a VF page

Santhosh wants to track the clicks to the link in the email. The link is to a website so any tracking from the web server is not available in SF. Lets modify my suggestion as given here below:

1. Enable sites
  2. Build a custom VF page with a custom controller and expose it to Sites
  3. In the controller's constructor, add logic to add number of clicks
  4. In the page's action method, redirect the user to the original website he intended to visist (Warning: if its HTTPS redirection, there might be some certificate concens)
  5. In the email you're sending out, provide the Sites URL to the VF page you built in step 2

Hope this makes sense now?

~LVS

This was selected as the best answer
Santosh SSantosh S
Dear All, Salesforce allows us to track whether the user/(Email Receiver) has opened the Email & how many times (with the last time the Email receiver has opened the received Email) On similar lines, I want to track whether the Email receiver has clicked on the Link (of Website) in the Email Please Help Warm Regards
LVSLVS
Santosh, doesn't my suggestion help?
sfdcsushilsfdcsushil

Hi LVS,

Your suggestion seems to be alright. It should work.

Regards,

Sushil